Coffee Substitutes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had a soft drink with Guarana several times. I began to wonder why I was bothering to go out of my way to get it. May as well be a cola but I don't know how Guarana tastes as a hot drink.

The other South American drink is Mate. I have no idea why North America doesn't have this more commonly available. Do we really think it must be drunk out of a gourd with a straw? I have had Mate leaves in tea bags but no longer remember where I got it. Probably, I could find it online that way. Two continents separated by a canal, coffee moves north easily enuf.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Slate writer doesn't agree ...

LINK

Seems odd that the study hasn't been released but there is a fair amount of media chatter about it.

There is no captioning for the video so I've just been reading and don't know what is on radio and tv.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner you may have explained my recent return of twitchy legs at night. I have been drinking more coffee lately. Usually it doesn't keep me awake, but I have been having insomnia with leg twitching occasionally. Darn it! I will have to cut back, I guess. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, @so lucky ,

You exercise restraint in some situations, you are allowed to be more liberal, elsewhere.

Buy the good stuff ...

;) Steve
who is having a little ginseng for a little something extra for the afternoon

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner you may have explained my recent return of twitchy legs at night. I have been drinking more coffee lately. Usually it doesn't keep me awake, but I have been having insomnia with leg twitching occasionally. Darn it! I will have to cut back, I guess. :(

When I get those, I get up and have a banana, So far it's worked every time.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I call that "egg-beater legs". If it is really bad, I get up and drink "tension tamer" tea and can usually get back to sleep. I've heard of the banana cure too, so sometimes I have both.

I drink both coffee and tea (which is probably a sign of true lunacy). Coffee first thing in the morning, and then right afterwards I make a pot of tea. Half goes into a thermos to haul to work for lunchtime, and the other half I drink immediately.

I didn't think I was a tea drinker until I started trying a whole bunch of loose-leaf varieties. There is so much variation out there. My current favorites are a Chinese oolong called DongDing, which tastes kind of like roasted peanut shells (I know that sounds bad, but it is delicious) and two green Japanese varieties, Bancha and Sencha.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I call that "egg-beater legs". If it is really bad, I get up and drink "tension tamer" tea and can usually get back to sleep. I've heard of the banana cure too, so sometimes I have both.

I drink both coffee and tea (which is probably a sign of true lunacy). Coffee first thing in the morning, and then right afterwards I make a pot of tea. Half goes into a thermos to haul to work for lunchtime, and the other half I drink immediately.

I didn't think I was a tea drinker until I started trying a whole bunch of loose-leaf varieties. There is so much variation out there. My current favorites are a Chinese oolong called DongDing, which tastes kind of like roasted peanut shells (I know that sounds bad, but it is delicious) and two green Japanese varieties, Bancha and Sencha.

Yeah, I've had that one. A nice Tieguanyin, but a little thin for my taste. My personal fave of the loose leaf oolongs is Tie Lo Han (Iron Warrior monk) which has a similar profile to Tung Ting (I'm going to use the spelling I am used to, it's the same thing as yours) but a little more body. Rou Gui (Aroma of Cinnamon Bark) is nice too, but a little closer to the black side of the oolong dichotomy (think of tea as a spectrum, with green on one side black on the other, and oolong taking up the whole of the middle.)

You also might like White Rooster Comb, that has a Tung Ting like profile too. If you have an Asian grocery store near you, see if they carry the Ten Ren brand, I think they offer Tung Ting in teabags (I know they offer Ten Wu, which is another similar Oolong)

You might want to look into Simpson and Vail's online store, they have loose teas from a lot of places (including some you wouldn't expect would grow tea, like Belize, and South Africa) and some of those plantations produce great things (the Vietnamese Imperial is AWESOME)

Then there's this place, for when you go HARDCORE (I'm placing an order around the holiday's when I have the money to pay, I HAVE to try Song Zhong (it's in the 2013 selection) and Thief Poop sounds tasty too.

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=310