Coffee Substitutes

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Lipton is a great tea best teas excellent roast. When I had my shop, I was a hair dresser, brought me a box of Canadian tea, Red Rose I think, not bad at all, but liptons is consistently good.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went by to look at a car that was for sale. The owner was a beautiful blond. We, she and I , were driving around laughing and talking one night,when she said turn here I want to go by work. We stopped a this salon, inside there were girls in all shapes and sizes, some fully clothed, some not quite.

I was looking, smiling, drinking in all that was there, when, tapping me on the shoulder, my friend, I forget her name, said: You like it here! Most guys get nervous and want to leave.

The next week I made arrangements to get a license , worked at a couple shops, worked at Sasoon's in Hollywood, before I opened my shop, like being in a candy store.

Robin was her name.

That's another story, tell you sometime.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just had my 4-hours-after-rising coffee ... and several figs.

I'm remembering when Mom had those coffee substitutes from the health food store. One was made from figs! The flavor of the dry ones I just had just kinda disappeared in the coffee flavors :) ...

I guess a trip to a health foods store might be required to find that fig drink Mom had. Or, maybe it's gone. @Kassaundra mentioned Postum. No, I didn't like Postum. It tasted just like what it was, a burnt breakfast cereal ... At least, that was my take on it ;).

Anyway, I'm having figs with my 4-hours-after-rising coffee this morning and I find a new fig drink: Coffig ..., the dry fruit goes so well with coffee, I'll forgive them for choosing that name :rolleyes:.

Before the fig beverage, I'm looking forward to running out of the coffee on hand and going off for that Puroast! Meanwhile, DW (late riser) left a little of her breakfast coffee ... think I'll slip that into the microwave ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20151106_133458.jpg
Not a substitute. The label claims it is the real thing!

My first reaction is my common complaint, "it's too hot!" Mild. I just learned that some people use honey in their coffee. I know, I've lived a sheltered life. May as well include some soymilk ...

Mild before, milder! ... should I add more coffee? Why not! Strong. I can still smell the honey! Mmmmm

Steve
checked walmart & safeway. neither had puroast. need to make that health food store visit

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH fiddles with his coffee so long, adding milk, pouring back and forth, that it gets too cool, so he has to nuke it to get it back up to drinkable temp. I think he is subconsciously trying to make a latte.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having tea this morning with breakfast. Since I've only been up for a short while, the coffee barrier hasn't come down.

Using the Kava took some experimenting. The fact that it's an instant gave me a little latitude as to how much soymilk I can put in it. You see, with a brewed cup of coffee, how much milk are you willing to put in there? I mean, it isn't like cream or even 2%!

I drink brewed coffee black, nearly always, but use soymilk half & half. No, I don't have a carton of half 'n' half in the fridge. I mean I use half water, half vanilla soymilk, HOT, and a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee ...

Good ... of course, I also add a teaspoon of sugar ... Better!

With tea, I'm accustomed to having it unsweetened or using honey. Today, I used the same half water, half soymilk for steeping my tea ..! I haven't had milk in my tea since I had Pakistani neighbors back in college. They would brew tea so strong, and use so much sugar in it, that you had to pour some milk in it just so you could stir ..!

This isn't really milk ... it's soymilk and it's good ... I think I may use two teabags in the 10oz mug, next time.

Steve ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My guilty pleasure of having iced coffee in the afternoon came crashing to a halt when I linked my recent stomach pain to the brewed coffee.
So I'm back to tea in the afternoon, and instant coffee in the morning. Ugh! I only know of one store around here that sells Kava, so I need to plan on going there to get some. Maybe if I drink Kava in the morning, I could still have brewed coffee in the afternoon for iced coffee.
I am also trying to get off artificial sweetener (Fasweet) which I have used for years. My mom used it for years, and her official cause of death was pancreatic cancer. Even if it doesn't cause cancer, recent findings that it kills the beneficial gut bacteria is reason enough to quit it.
So I am using just a small amount of sugar, or honey, in my drinks. Unsatisfactory, all around. Icky coffee and not sweet enough. :(
Hey! I just found another First World Problem!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's interesting how certain specific times of the day are linked to a comforting food and "ritual", and that's what's so difficult for me to break away from.
Mornings are sitting here at the kitchen bar with my coffee and laptop reading what you all are doing.

Evenings are curled up on the couch with a mocha and my laptop...so you can imagine how wonky my life became with the recent power outage. :confused:

Sitting anywhere with a hot drink and staring into space is just not the same!

Another first world problem!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
First World Problem?

It's been 4 hours since rising so I'm having coffee ... with honey ...

No, I just can't go that route. Whenever I can finally get to the health food store to see if they have the Caffig, I'll see about that agave syrup.

A 2nd breakfast goes with the 4 hour coffee. :) fruit and homemade cinnamon rolls :) When life throws lemons ... ya know.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I've had coffee with honey or brown sugar. It's not bad at all. Don't you like it? If you use it you don't have to worry about getting that agave.

Mary

Latest posts