Coffee

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Oolong in the cup, Oatmeal in the bowl with dried apricot, honey &cream cheese, Persimmons on the side. No, very self-sufficently deficient here, having grown nothing ...

Up a little late, trouble staying asleep early with coughing. Today, Today! This wildfire smoke iis blowing away!

Steve
wondering if he should pick on @seedcorn for wasting space on Brussels sprouts because he, steve, doesn't like them 😝

Attachments

• DEEEF269-0475-476A-AAD5-FF2C8FA71998.jpeg
    DEEEF269-0475-476A-AAD5-FF2C8FA71998.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 65

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a cartoon that I saw not too long ago. I wish that I had saved it to show you but it seemed a little contentious at the time ;).

A man has entered the pearly gates and is met by several women. He asks if there are many women in Heaven and is told, "Yes, millions. You are the only man." "So, you know what that means, right?"

"Yes, of course," he answers. The next frame, he is shown moving trash cans to the curb.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There was a cartoon that I saw not too long ago. I wish that I had saved it to show you but it seemed a little contentious at the time ;).

A man has entered the pearly gates and is met by several women. He asks if there are many women in Heaven and is told, "Yes, millions. You are the only man." "So, you know what that means, right?"

"Yes, of course," he answers. The next frame, he is shown moving trash cans to the curb.
as it should be....:weee

just kidding. I heard a man bantering with some of the women at work around those lines. It was all good-natured poking and comments about abusing husbands. If it helps, I usually take out the garbage. My husband is the one to drive to town to dump it though. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as it should be....:weee

just kidding. I heard a man bantering with some of the women at work around those lines. It was all good-natured poking and comments about abusing husbands. If it helps, I usually take out the garbage. My husband is the one to drive to town to dump it though. :D

Mom takes the trash out as she generates most of if and she's ok doing it and doesn't ever complain. i go out later and pick up the empty recycle bins or pick the stuff out of the ditch if it gets blown over. i try to check the weather before she sets things out so i can tell her to not bother if it looks like it will be really windy or raining - we can wait a week if we need to on recycling. however, some days the weather changes faster than the forecast so i have to get out and rescue it from the rains or winds.

i'm not sure if we're switching over to bins on wheels or not - that topic came up as we're due to renegotiate the trash hauling contract and that was raised as a possibility.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mom takes the trash out as she generates most of if and she's ok doing it and doesn't ever complain. i go out later and pick up the empty recycle bins or pick the stuff out of the ditch if it gets blown over. i try to check the weather before she sets things out so i can tell her to not bother if it looks like it will be really windy or raining - we can wait a week if we need to on recycling. however, some days the weather changes faster than the forecast so i have to get out and rescue it from the rains or winds.

i'm not sure if we're switching to bins on wheels or not - that topic came up as we're due to renegotiate the trash hauling contract, which was raised as a possibility.
I am in the middle of nowhere, so trash is our responsibility. If it is cardboard, I either add it to my garden or burn it, as we sometimes have a lot of it.

Food scraps get buried in the garden and the rest goes into a giant bin for my husband to drive to town later. Most of our neighbors just burn everything, which leads to a great deal of waste and pollution. It also leads to fires as everything is really dry most of the year and can catch fire with a sneeze. 😵

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in the middle of nowhere, so trash is our responsibility. If it is cardboard, I either add it to my garden or burn it, as we sometimes have a lot of it.

Food scraps get buried in the garden and the rest goes into a giant bin for my husband to drive to town later. Most of our neighbors just burn everything, which leads to a great deal of waste and pollution. It also leads to fires as everything is really dry most of the year and can catch fire with a sneeze. 😵

the township used to have a trash problem because way too many people were just leaving stuff laying around or dumping it in the wood lots or wherever. burning trash stinks and most people were burning plastics which is not a great way to do things as it doesn't properly incinerate them - you need a proper method for that. so the township eventually voted in trash pickup and hauling to go on the property taxes and that's what happens. it's worth the price to not smell people burning that stuff.

we don't normally have fire problems around here unless it has been dry for a long time. they do now require burn permits and if you start a fire that needs fire department control without a burn permit you can be fined and also end up having to pay for the fire-department run. so... i had quite a time getting Mom to stop from burning things as that was what she did, but at times she was being so unsafe that i just told her no more burning and we've been doing well with just composting things as much as possible. it is also nice to not be finding so many nails and screws around as they used to burn wood scraps and pallets to get rid of them and then i'd be finding those bits of metal around.

most cardboards can be recycled or used in the gardens (but i avoid the plastic coated and shiny stuff since that sometimes isn't great), but the simple cardboard boxes are worm hotels - they love that stuff. :) i used to shred it and feed it to the worm bins here, but my old paper shredder finally gave out and i bought a good replacement but it won't let me put cardboard through it so i just bury it and use it as smothering for weeds and it eventually goes away with the worms taking care of it.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the township used to have a trash problem because way too many people were just leaving stuff laying around or dumping it in the wood lots or wherever. burning trash stinks and most people were burning plastics which is not a great way to do things as it doesn't properly incinerate them - you need a proper method for that. so the township eventually voted in trash pickup and hauling to go on the property taxes and that's what happens. it's worth the price to not smell people burning that stuff.

we don't normally have fire problems around here unless it has been dry for a long time. they do now require burn permits, and if you start a fire that needs fire department control without a burn permit you can be fined and also end up having to pay for the fire-department run. so... i had quite a time getting Mom to stop burning things as that was what she did, but at times she was being so unsafe that i just told her no more burning and we've been doing well with composting things as much as possible. it is also nice to not be finding so many nails and screws around as they used to burn wood scraps and pallets to get rid of them and then i'd be finding those bits of metal around.

most cardboards can be recycled or used in the gardens (but i avoid the plastic coated and shiny stuff since that sometimes isn't great), but the simple cardboard boxes are worm hotels - they love that stuff. :) i used to shred it and feed it to the worm bins here, but my old paper shredder finally gave out and i bought a good replacement but it won't let me put cardboard through it so i just bury it and use it as smothering for weeds and it eventually goes away with the worms taking care of it.
We have terrible times with garbage around here. It is so rural, it is just not something people think of. It is "fine" to throw that beer can out the window because well, no one sees it and there is no one there.

A lot of people move out here and think they can homestead it. Kind of like new-age hippies. One winter destroys those illusions. When your door freezes shut, it is not pleasant. Until then, they tend to collect a lot of stuff that hangs around outside a camper then the spring (mid-December) comes, and they leave everything, the camper included left behind forever.

It's a graveyard of modern junk no one needs.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have terrible times with garbage around here. It is so rural, it is just not something people think of. It is "fine" to throw that beer can out the window because well, no one sees it and there is no one there.

A lot of people move out here and think they can homestead it. Kind of like new-age hippies. One winter destroys those illusions. When your door freezes shut, it is not pleasant. Until then, they tend to collect a lot of stuff that hangs around outside a camper then the spring (mid-December) comes, and they leave everything, the camper included left behind forever.

It's a graveyard of modern junk no one needs.

if you want to see sad, check out Slab City vids... :(

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if you want to see sad, check out Slab City vids... :(
I don't need any more sadness. My husband and I are far enough away from them and are working on building our dreams, with each day being a new challenge. We will get there, and this will not stop us. I just need to focus on the now and plan for the future.

Like where should I purchase seeds and seed potatoes next year? Should I put up another garden bed in the spring or focus on building/welding a place for guinea fowl or chickens?

How many times will I need to do this stupid tax assignment to at least get a B out of it? 🤔

Latest posts