Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
my sleep schedule has been all over the place recently so last night i finally got to bed at a decent time and slept through most of the night. waking up early isn't by choice but gotta go pee and then can sometimes crawl back in bed for a bit more.

now that it is getting back to hotter weather i can see a siesta being a nice thing to do. Mom normally does so this time of the day i'm usually accompanied by some snoring so after a while it kinda lures you into a nap... :)
My little dog and I wake up early every morning to pee (me indoors & she outdoors) and then we hit the couch again to resume sleep, wonderful sleep!. My bigger dog is like a camel; she prefers to sleep right through.

An afternoon siesta is certainly a great idea. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee was good. Slowing going on a Saturday morning. We had more rain last night and cool today. I ate a couple of radishes from the garden and the rabbits had the leaves and some kale. The wind messed up the string on the beans a little bit, so I am going to add some more.

I saw 4 pea plant volunteers coming up in the row of pole beans. I did not plant any this year and the fence they are on, that fence was not there last year, so these peas found the perfect spot to grow. I may have to make pickles this year. The cucumbers are going to be amazing. I have no idea why I planted so many. Well, not really that many, 2 of each kind and I think total of 6 plants, but too many for me.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee was good. Slowing going on a Saturday morning. We had more rain last night and cool today. I ate a couple of radishes from the garden and the rabbits had the leaves and some kale. The wind messed up the string on the beans a little bit, so I am going to add some more.

I saw 4 pea plant volunteers coming up in the row of pole beans. I did not plant any this year and the fence they are on, that fence was not there last year, so these peas found the perfect spot to grow. I may have to make pickles this year. The cucumbers are going to be amazing. I have no idea why I planted so many. Well, not really that many, 2 of each kind and I think total of 6 plants, but too many for me.
You planted more, so you can share!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You planted more, so you can share!

one year we planted 15 cucumber plants. learned a lesson there for sure. shared about half a ton of cucumbers and made a lot of pickles (many which did not get eaten). just last week we finally used up a jar that had been in the cupboard (and then the fridge) since then. the pickles were a bit mushy, but they still had excellent flavor so i used them up making tartar sauce. Mom would not let me use Pickle Crisp so that is why they were mushier than they had to be. if eaten fairly quickly they don't get as mushy, but several years i consider too late.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feeling lazy this Sunday AM. Slept until 4 and that's is good. What I suspect was true for me was that I became habituated to being up early. Combine that with a thorough dislike for alarm clocks – who hasn't felt like throwing one across the room when a silly machine interrupts pleasant sleep? So ... I have been oriented to and successful at either leaving the alarm off or simply using it as a fail safe with plans to be out of bed well before it goes off. Congratulating myself for doing so, and that reinforcing a habit. Yay! I'm UP!

Rain Chance Percentages. Night before last, what I hoped would benefit the garden did no more than mess up windshields. Yesterday, wind was every bit the problem I expected it might be. An extra half hour was spent holding a hose and throwing water where the sprinklers failed to even moisten the surface of the soil after 3 hours of running.

The retired farmer neighbor blew in during that time. "Yeah," he says, watching the big leaves of the cabbage and broccoli flop around in the wind. "About all you can do in these conditions is keep things alive."

Steve
PS. If you become concerned about not having enough sleep, try going to bed earlier. Worked for me – had 7 1/2 hours sleep last night :).

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm for coffee and a second breakfast!
I think 🤔 .

Screenshot_2023-06-18-07-47-59_kindlephoto-65504446.png

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
one year we planted 15 cucumber plants. learned a lesson there for sure. shared about half a ton of cucumbers and made a lot of pickles (many which did not get eaten). just last week we finally used up a jar that had been in the cupboard (and then the fridge) since then. the pickles were a bit mushy, but they still had excellent flavor so i used them up making tartar sauce. Mom would not let me use Pickle Crisp so that is why they were mushier than they had to be. if eaten fairly quickly they don't get as mushy, but several years i consider too late.
I had that happen with the last pickles I canned with them getting mushy, but I also made freezer pickles and those things lasted for a long long time and were just like the day I made them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just sipping on coffee all morning. I brought a couple of small yellow squash in to cook for supper. I ate a radish and I gave radish leaves, blackberry leaves, oregano and kale to the rabbits for their breakfast. Still breezy outside. It rained after I had put the sprinkler on the garden. It is only 61 degrees right now. It will be cool for a couple of days and 40 something tonight. I should make some soup.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The retired farmer neighbor blew in during that time. "Yeah," he says, watching the big leaves of the cabbage and broccoli flop around in the wind. "About all you can do in these conditions is keep things alive."

the tomatoes are loving the warmer weather, but i do have to keep watering on schedule. everything else is growing, but slower.

Steve
PS. If you become concerned about not having enough sleep, try going to bed earlier. Worked for me – had 7 1/2 hours sleep last night :).

i'm falling asleep earlier and then waking up with the birdies and the sun when it comes over the north eastern treeline and through my patio doors. this morning i woke up 15 minutes earlier (a quarter to six!) and wished i'd been able to sleep instead. i make up for shorter evenings by a siesta in the afternoon.

today will be all screwed up. i got roped into something and so gardening this morning is delayed until either this evening or the next day.

Last edited: