Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made pumpkin cookies and rhubarb bread flavored with instant coffee.

Realize that coffee is an acquired taste. Not everyone will enjoy the flavor or the same strength of flavor. Maybe we can think of it as we might with adding chilli pepper to recipes. So, adjust the coffee level and it is probably best to about half of what an enthusiast thinks should be included, IMO.

Unfortunately, I left DW indifferent to my efforts, to say the least.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made pumpkin cookies and rhubarb bread flavored with instant coffee.

Realize that coffee is an acquired taste. Not everyone will enjoy the flavor or the same strength of flavor. Maybe we can think of it as we might with adding chilli pepper to recipes. So, adjust the coffee level and it is probably best to about half of what an enthusiast thinks should be included, IMO.

Unfortunately, I left DW indifferent to my efforts, to say the least.

Steve

for sure! molasses is also another dark bread additive to get more color. i don't recall how much of any of these i put in, i rarely measured things to begin with other than the initial amount of flour. probably no more than a teaspoon or two of coffee, cocoa could be a bit more but not too much, molasses would make it too sticky if you put in too much. saurkraut was about half of what i would put in for zucchini bread, it kept the bread moist for sure, could never taste it with all the other ingredients.

it was a long time ago when i had the bread machine (back in the other century even) and i was using it a lot until i burned it up. as it was a used one given to my by a friend i got my money's worth out of it. i probably made a few hundred loaves of bread in it. most of the time i just made the dough and through the 2nd rise and then i'd take it out and use it for pizza crust. i had a lot of fun doing all sorts of strange things for pizza. it was also a time when i was swimming or hiking pretty hard each day so i could burn off a whole cookie sheet sized pizza without too much trouble.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens, @flowerbug , sauerkraut in zucchini bread?! Moist, I have trouble with DW wanting to put too much zucchini in ...

Pizza crust? Why haven't we tried that. The bread machine sits on a high shelf used about 4 or 5 times a year. We can both knead dough and the oven is right there. Pizza crust was tricky for me but if the bread machine knows how to do it.

Steve
who will probably have zucchini bread for a second breakfast, too-smorning ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens, @flowerbug , sauerkraut in zucchini bread?! Moist, I have trouble with DW wanting to put too much zucchini in ...

Pizza crust? Why haven't we tried that. The bread machine sits on a high shelf used about 4 or 5 times a year. We can both knead dough and the oven is right there. Pizza crust was tricky for me but if the bread machine knows how to do it.

Steve

no, i used saurkraut in bread when making pumpernickle. not along with zucchini. that'd be too much anyways. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At house in Groveton. My friend Steve came this morning and we got one of the 40’ shipping containers blocked up. Neither one of us knew what we were doing, but that didn’t stop us. We have 4”X16”X16” concrete pads with 8”X8”X16” concrete blocks at each corner and 3 down each side. Total of 10 concrete pads and blocks for one shipping container.

Son wanted it 2 blocks high. We tried, but it shifted and fell off the blocks. Uhhh….. nope. Not raising that thing 2 blocks high. Too dangerous for a couple of ignorant morons with absolutely no experience!

So now with a whole day’s worth of experience, we know what we are doing and will use our expertise to block up the other behemoth tomorrow.

I’m tired. Back is sore.
I hope you have your arnica cream there? Please make a ginger and turmeric tea, in some cases it works as an anti inflammatory :hugs. It does for me along with that cream ;)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder how instant coffee (blasphemy though it is) would add to the flavor of hash browns? 🤔 Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, though I can't imagine my breakfast without a cup of coffee.
I’m having coffee this morning! I usually don’t drink it every day to avoid getting dependent on the caffeine. Usually I have tea on those days instead.
002CCFD8-47F1-4961-92FE-9C2473E780AC.jpeg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Steve
Pastry Dough. There can be only one. If ever I go to that much trouble it HAS to be for pastry. Baklava anyone?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shipping containers are blocked up. I never want to do this again. Even with the tractor bucket to put the blocks in, those concrete blocks were HEAVY.

@marie yes, I have my Arnicare cream! Also Advil which I almost never take, but knew I was going to be abusing myself. LOL Can’t make tea, propane tank isn’t set yet or lines run. Range top is gas, so no hot water. No microwave or refrigerator here yet, still at other house. Just had bottle of water and a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Tired. Gotta go unload 28 T-posts, 8 treated wood posts and rolls of wire out of back of truck. Maybe, just maybe I can wrangle this stack of OSB plywood out of the floor and into the back of the truck and drag it into one of those nice, blocked up containers. Later.

77C38A8E-3550-43AD-BF5F-DB12D3310A4E.jpeg

39A0F99E-46A6-4453-B7E8-68C2CDF65B0C.jpeg