Coming to An End

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my revolution is that i don't use sheets on a bed. ok, i do have a bottom fitted sheet but it's under other layers of blankets. my whole life i've woken up with sheets trying to strangle me. i don't like my feet tucked in or trapped by sheets. so i sleep with blankets and usually end up rolled up in them like a burrito by the end of the night. when someone else sleeps with me, they get their own blankets because otherwise i'll steal 'em...

i wash my blankets around four times a year. i figure when i can smell them they're ripe/due... lol... the pillow cases i change every week or two. as a rule it's not like i'm gross/sweaty/muddy when i'm in bed. that's what showers and towels are for. if i come in from outside and i'm tired and sweaty i have a big towel i put down that i use and then that gets washed often.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: Thistle, yer a hoot!!!

I make my soap here and have done for 12 yrs now, so the clothes hung out are not stiff like clothing done with commercial laundry detergents....makes it a joy to hang out bed linens and then sleep on them later that night. Bliss!

Got ya all beat...I remember washing clothes on a washboard and wringing them into a rinse tub with a hand crank wringer.

I have made soap, but never really liked how the clothes came out. How do you make your soap? I was at an antique store this weekend and I saw a washboard and was thinking how we always had one in our house. I never used a wringer though, but I used to watch our neighbor use hers. Instead of stepping across the street, I stepped across into another time period. These 2 sisters had a phone, but outdoor plumbing, oil lamps, a wringer washer on the porch, a huge garden and they worse bonnets and clothes like Little House on the Prairie, chickens running all over. I think my mother has everybody beat with the hanging up clothes. My mother was blind, used cloth diapers and could wash the clothes and carry them outside and hang up on the line and get back into the house. I used to follow her out and hand her clothespins. I remember we had to hurry one day to get the clothes off the line. A dust storm was coming and I remember the sky black. She always hung everything outside until one day my dad went out to get diapers off the line and they were froze and he ordered a dryer.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you make your soap?

Just the traditional liquid Fels Naptha recipe...I tweak it a little but it's basically the same ingredients. It's not the greatest for keeping whites bright but you can add vinegar to the rinse and that's corrected. I just avoid buying white...makes things easier.

Best part is it's mere pennies per load. I'll never go back to traditional detergent, too many pros to using this soap.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother was blind, used cloth diapers and could wash the clothes and carry them outside and hang up on the line and get back into the house.

I knew a blind lady who lived alone....folks would see her hanging out her clothes in the dead of night, taking them in, etc. Guess she was on a different schedule than most of us due to the sight issue.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, my grandma got her hand stuck in the wringer. Probably more than once.
I remember that old washer out in the back shed, where grandma did her laundry. She was using it still back in the late 50's early 60's. I had heard the stories and would stare at that thing with a kind of horrified awe. And that was when it wasn't being used!
Hand in wringer? Yep, more than once. You would think I would have learned better the 1st time! So glad when Mom got the automatic washer !

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think a lot has to do with how you use your bed. If you just use for sleeping I guess sheets don't matter to much. I use my bed for more then sleeping, relaxing it where I do reading talking on phone and watching TV. Bedroom is my most used room in house. Nothing better then in winter getting in bed under layers of quilts glass of wine watching a good movie

Latest posts