common sense is out the window

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow. Those numbers are mind boggling!
I can't quite wrap my head around that.

north and south carolina are the top producers of pork and poultry on the east coast, those processing plants run basically 18 hours a day with basically 6 hour wash/ sterilization shift 7 days a week.

so yup all those butts and lips got to somewhere..... poor little wilburs and mazeys.....:lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just think I work on the pet food rendering side, That's all my company does. There are some company's in the industry that does edible rendering for human consumption. I wont tell you what that goes into, but you've heard the term chicken Lips and buttholes right Lol. That's all I'm going to say about that :lol:.

I want to know what human consumption products that chicken "parts" goes into. I toss very little when it comes to butchering chickens. Maybe I am missing something? :lol: I don't keep the head or feathers. Guts get tossed to drooling dogs. We like fried gizzards, liver and heart, so most of the time I keep them. When I don't, I can them with the neck and back pieces for the dogs. Sorta doing my own rendering dog food LOL. I keep the feet and make broth, then take out the long leg bone (trash) and feed the rest to the dogs. So what grossness that would disturb people is used in people products?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to know what human consumption products that chicken "parts" goes into. I toss very little when it comes to butchering chickens. Maybe I am missing something? :lol: I don't keep the head or feathers. Guts get tossed to drooling dogs. We like fried gizzards, liver and heart, so most of the time I keep them. When I don't, I can them with the neck and back pieces for the dogs. Sorta doing my own rendering dog food LOL. I keep the feet and make broth, then take out the long leg bone (trash) and feed the rest to the dogs. So what grossness that would disturb people is used in people products?

Bay, what do you do with the head and feathers? Surely you don't waste those! I bury mine in the garden or orchard so they can compost where they will be used. Is that opportunity what you are missing? I don't see much else you are missing.

Bay, the edible rendering industry doesn't utilize chicken as much as they do Pork and Beef. That's why we don't do it, We only use Poultry. Funny you mention chap stick though, We do have several clients on the rendered fat side that are make-up and beauty product companies. We do use our fat as Boiler fuel in the winter months, Lots of BTU's in chicken fat if atomized correctly.

The chicken lips and buttholes was what my papa used to say potted meat was made of, that was just a joke, its actually not made of any chicken at all I don't think Lol.

Latest posts