Craigslist and Other Bargains

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I once saw a steamer trunk that was an hour away. I didn't want to waste my time or gas so I made an offer. My husband thought it was strange for me to make an offer without first seeing it. I explained that making an offer was not agreeing to buy it sight unseen. But I've never thought of making an offer for things fairly close buy. Do you always make an offer first before seeing the item? I think I like that.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes I always make offer 1st this way I know if it is worth the bother. If it isn't in my price range, then no sense in going to see. Unless it is something I want very bad, I will ask in 1st email what is the best seller can do on price.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a CL seller I've had a lot of no shows. I used to believe people when they absolutely wanted it and would I please hold it for them. So I would tell all other callers, sorry- it's sold, only to never hear from the first caller again.

Now it's first with the cash gets it, no holds, and since I price everything ridiculously cheap I am firm on the price...until they get there and are so nice that I cave in and just about pay them to take it off my hands....

I sold an '87 Ford 350 crewcab dually with an extra rebuildable motor already loaded in the bed for $200. When I realized dh wasn't ever going to get it rebuilt and running I just wanted it gone. That thing sold so fast and I got so many calls it made me dizzy!

Dh was not very happy with me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I did something like that with my old '92 Chevy Cavalier (sold it over 10 years ago). It ran great, but the upholstery smelled like my dogs since they went everywhere with me when I was in college and it had a lot of cosmetic damage from things just randomly breaking like the window wouldn't roll up, rust, dash had cracks in it, etc. I told my brother I wanted to sell it for $200 and he very quickly found a buyer. I know he got much more from it than that and a nice little commission for himself. I was just glad to be rid of it!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a older truck that I knew would soon need work -- brakes and tires so I took it to town and parked it where my mother worked. While I went to get a For Sale sign she went and sold the vehicle. I was going to ask $200, but mom didn't know that so she sold it for $400 less then 15 minutes after I left.

I once sold an old car, Horizon, that DH had used for years to get to work. We sold it for $50 to a tenant who had repeatedly asked when we were getting rid of it. He sold it to a friend for $200 when he went to Mexico for the winter, and bought it back that next summer for $25. He was still driving that car when he bought a house of his own. My tenants are always leaving to move into their own home. I know my low rents are the reason they manage to save the down payments.

Like thistlebloom, I think I'm usually way low in price.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember just because you see a item priced on ebay or CL doesn't mean someone will pay that price. I can list a ball point pen for $250 that doesnt mean it is worth that. If you ever want to sell some thing and don't know have to price it go to ebay and click on completed sales. That will give a history of what that item SOLD for.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one. Never used it for bulbs, though. I have it ready to start up again. Realize that it is suggested you replace all the bulbs every year. Otherwise, it's a fun novelty IMHO rather than a real gardening opportunity.

Latest posts