CRUCIAL! Annual Nagging Needed Early this year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No fun here either! Crusades, Marshall? Yeah, something like that ...

Two hours from the time I put on my hat until I came out of the shower! Coop's clean. Shavings down. Bags moved in.

I hadn't expected those 2³ ft bags of potting soil to be frozen. The "stealth compost pile" under the greenhouse deck just had a few chunks of frozen compost on top but I was left with an extra wheelbarrow full of litter that had to go somewhere!

I managed to break through about 8" of frozen dirt in a garden bed just with the shovel! It's been melting and raining here the last couple of days ... I figured this foggy morning would be a good time to clean that coop but I really feel it should have been closer to sundown by the time I emerged squeaky clean from the ordeal.

Steve, thanks Cat' :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I cleaned up around the coop and put everything away properly. I moved the feed from the garden shed to the coop for ease of feeding once it's really cold. That took a bit of further cleaning up. Then I picked up old feed bags and some waste from the garden shed and re-arranged the back half to make it more convienient. DH built a great shelf area for storage -- then proceeded to put 4 feet of misc. materials stacked right in front of it. I can't reach the shelves for nothing.

I guess DH was looking for something to do this morning. I went to the garden shed to find that he'd moved everything out of the middle and lined it up along the edges. That means 4 feet of misc. garden and construction materials along the windows. Now I can't reach the shelves to get materials and I can't reach the windows to plant cool weather crops come January.

I do have a nice 8 feet of clear dirt down the center of the shed where the sun won't reach. I imagine DH will soon find something to fill that space as well. Sigh! DH does that to me way too often -- clears a good place for storing my things, gets my enthusiastic thank you and then piles tons of other materials in front so I can't reach anything.

My roos are back to fighting. In August they were fighting so I separated them for a while. When they got back together the younger Thing #1 was afraid to fight and didn't pose a threat to Nesco. It's been about 3 months of tense peace, but today, I find my Nesco cowering in a hide-y hole and blood on the walls, on the feed barrel and on both roosters.

Will have to come up with a new plan. . . . and soon. . . !

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm empathizing with you regarding DH, Red. I'm not far behind you there. You have more patience than I.
With the roos....are you set on keeping them both? Are you able to send one to freezer camp? Sounds like it's about time, sorry to say.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
One rooster will become the leader at some point. I would never complain about any work my husband does whether I agree with it or not.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One rooster will become the leader at some point. I would never complain about any work my husband does whether I agree with it or not.
@catjac1975, I don't complain about any work DH does . . . to him. It is not his fault we don't have the same 'vision' of garden shed use. He's looking at all the now open area and thinking about what could be moved into that space to open the garage or work shop to more room.

I save my complaining for this site. Letting go of my frustrations by prattling on to ya'll helps me maintain my focus on what's important the rest of the time.

@so lucky, we've discussed this problem together, DH and I. I have all the patience in the world for DH and helping him, and when I seem irritated, it is not at him but at the situation that has affected this wonderful man. The DH I married knew everything, did no wrong, and hung the moon. Working together he became the perfect husband -- for me. It is difficult for both of us to deal with this stranger at times.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth do not feel bad have had everything ready to put away hoses/cages/etc for months and this afternoon finally got over that procrastination
and just did it..
@baymule hows the new garden coming along?
Still got my head stuck in a paint bucket. Will finish up next week, then it will be on to laying floors. In mid February it will be time to plant potatoes! I'd better get a move on!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We better get back to yellin-, I mean encouraging Marshall! If we let up he'll get distracted by Wikipedia and who knows when he'll get to his chores!

@digitS, frozen potting soil! I had to buy some lately to pot up all those dumb bulbs my out of state client had shipped...after the ground froze up here. Wasn't too hard to find, just went to the frozen soil section at the box store. It was hard to get three of those big suckers in the cart.
Rigor mortis had definitely set in!

Gah! Then out of the cart into the truck, out of the truck into the garage, then into the house to thaw, then back out to the garage because we were having dinner guests and 3 huge bags of soil don't go with the eclectic decor, then back in the house to thaw again.

I finally got the bulbs potted, made a huge mess in the dining room, but they are currently back outside working on freezing again.

Oh sorry Marshall! Are you still sitting around?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, will you move in before Christmas?

Mary
Not even close! I work like crazy on that house, looking out at the weed patch that will be my someday garden....... :barnieAfter the floors get laid, stained, then 3 coats of polyurethane, I get to think of what I'm going to put on the bathroom floors. :\ Then it will move on to building a fenced area for the horses and something to put the chickens in, a fenced yard for the dogs, moving our portable building, moving furniture, moving my mom, moving, moving, moving.......... I will be in serious need of dirt therapy.

MARSHALL!!!!! WE WANT PICTURE PROOF OF YOUR PROGRESS!!! GET OFF THE COUCH!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts