Dad Fell Off Ladder Drove To ER

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no cure for getting old.
I don't want to be babied and protected from myself.
Protecting others from myself - yes for sure. But I want to do what I can for as long as I can, because once you stop doing, it's a fast slide down.
No moss grows on a rolling stone

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy,

Clayton often complained if I asked him to rest that I expected him to just sit down and wait to die. That's why he had three showers the day before he died. He just wouldn't stop working. I could watch after him and I could insure he kept hydrated, but I had to let him be Clayton. Tough love works both ways.

FYI...There are lower ladders that have hand rails if Dad isn't climbing too high.

I'm with the others. Destroying his ladder was wrong unless you replace it with a new, sturdy alternative. As much as we want to keep them safe, our loved ones deserve the respect for person and property we would want for ourselves. If that means getting hurt, so be it. We just gotta love'm while we have 'em.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wise words @Smart Red

I'd like to see my kids try to keep me from doing what I want to do. I mentioned getting thrown off my horse one time at church and one of the men asked me, "Aren't you a little old to still be riding horses?" My reply, "No, I'm not. I'm going to get thrown off my favorite horse when I'm 105, hit my head on a rock, and die." People were choking on laughter as he was one of the elders of the church. I sure shut him up.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will replace ladder with a much better one. Part of problem dad lived though Depression and can not stand to see anything thrown out. He lives in a city with trash pick up 3x a week, walking his dog there a good chance he will drag something home. That object might be in trash because it is no longer safe to use. He has blown many fuses plugging in TV found in trash

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's one with wide treads and handrails.

715dnGlHdsL._SL1500_.jpg

The link came out funky, but it's by Miles Kimball on Amazon.
There were lots more like it.

Latest posts