Dirt Stains

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no idea if it's common knowledge, although I should since I'm usually the laundry guy.

Blood stains. After repeatedly wearing and about 3 washings, the blood on a knee finally became so faded that I found myself out in medical building in those pants. No, I doubt if it was anyone's blood but my own - some forgotten mishap likely having to do with nails, screws or wire.

More recently, I scratched myself on a screw head on a raised bed. Within minutes, I'm balancing myself lifting a large rock by pressing my forearms against my knees. (Someone will have to tell us if that is proper squat weightlifting with 30# of basalt ;).) Before I tossed those jeans in the hamper, I put a few drops of dishwashing soap on the blood stain. The washing machine took the soap-soaked blood out.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My biggest stain problem is getting cooking oil on my shirts, a pop when frying or a splash from chicken broth or what ever. Can't get the spot out. A "good" shirt becomes a "home" shirt in an instant.
My outside work clothes are usually what's most comfortable and worn--and stained. Wouldn't dare wear them to town.
But, Thistle, I am not employed, so I don't have a good excuse.

When I had my business, it used to really annoy me when farmers or construction workers would come in right out of a muddy field, with two inches of mud caked on their boots. They would leave a trail from the door to the cash register.
I appreciated their business, but sure wished they would have taken the time to knock the mud off before getting in their truck.

Try laying the shirt out flat and pressing some cornstarch into the spot. Let sit for a couple hours, dust it off, then work a couple drops of Dawn dish detergent in before laundering.

Better yet, buy yourself a cute apron. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would my "enemy of Benjamin Bunny" hat convince others that the dirt stains on my pants are just honest garden soil?

View attachment 20240
Steve
there's something called "whink" that I'm gonna check out. supposed to be safe on "carpets and colorfast fabrics" and available at wally world.
I use Wink for every rust stain I see! Our towns water leaves yellow stains on/in everything. Shower, tub, toilets, clothes from washer. Grrr it has been a problem from day 1 here. Lots water softner salt (really doesn't completely do the trick) then found wink helped with cleaning.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No I didn't. She sat in his office one day, she was maybe 7 or 8, playing with him while he did paperwork. She made paper clip earrings with pennies taped to them and taped them to his ears. She tied a bandanna around his head like a scarf. She did all sorts of things to him. A big burly man suddenly appeared in the doorway and stopped, stunned by what he saw. Then he smiled and said, "I have daughters".
I shall repeat. Your Husband is a keeper. :loveLucky little girls to have him for a Papa.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try laying the shirt out flat and pressing some cornstarch into the spot. Let sit for a couple hours, dust it off, then work a couple drops of Dawn dish detergent in before laundering.

Better yet, buy yourself a cute apron. :)
I have maybe 50 CUTE aprons from my days of serving Elementary school lunches. (I never seem to wear them at home! ) I would be happy to send anyone an apron or 2 !!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, just spray with any stain remover spray and wash. Try not to put in dryer but it's ok if you forget. Repeat this 3 times and it will go away! This works for me for everything. A chap stick went into the wash and ruined one of my favorite shirts. Washed it 3 times and it all came out.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the gardening season my jeans never find themselves in the drier unless DW gets ahold of them! Shirts - hers - might go in there but not if I get ahold of them!

Onto the line ... she has all this no wrinkle polyester, anyway. Dries as soon as I finish pinning them (upside down).

Are you thinking wash 3x without wearing, Mary? Goes against my nature! If the stain doesn't come out with one washing, I add to it with more dirtywork. Really, my jeans look worse and worse as the season progresses ...

Stopped at Wal-Mart and got some Whink. Lots of cautions on poison dangers but it says "Use on clothing" with caveat "test for colorfastness." Then, says to rinse before laundering. Hmmm ... hope I don't get in trouble here ...

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, just spray with any stain remover spray and wash. Try not to put in dryer but it's ok if you forget. Repeat this 3 times and it will go away! This works for me for everything. A chap stick went into the wash and ruined one of my favorite shirts. Washed it 3 times and it all came out.

Mary
I kept expecting you to say "Now click your heels and repeat 3 times".....

Latest posts