Discombobulated

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard people and wrong in calling COVID a respiratory virus. I am not sure if that's right, but DD's friend's mother was sick 8 days, breathing fine, but getting too weak to get around, so she went to the hospital and they gave antibiotics and fluid, still has a fever but stronger, no sepsis, no pneumonia, so trying to say that I type medical reports and the patients that come to the ICU have pneumonia. Isn't pneumonia caused by inhaling a germ deep into lung,...

i don't know anything about dog illnesses really, but the Sars-Cov2 virus can infect various parts of the system. for some people it does not cause pneumonia and others it does. pneumonia itself can have multiple causes besides viral, there is bacterial and fungal and no it may not depend upon how deeply the offending agent is breathed in, if you get it in your sinuses then it can replicate and then be breathed in deeper.

you can also get pneumonia from aspirating food into the airways. you know the saying don't talk with your mouth full?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
here is a covid story from yesterday when Mom talked to a friend of hers who lives on an island out in Lake Michigan.

all summer they had avoided large outbreaks but this fall a single hunter spent an evening at the bar and they infected a bunch of people who then took it home. none of the contact tracing went back to any other place, all were at the bar. close space, intoxication, proximity - all things that contribute to the spread. the friend said one person ended up in the hospital from it but that 15 families were infected. i'm not sure if it is contained or not. being a rather closed community if they all can shelter in place for a few weeks they can likely stamp it out again.

the local store takes orders over the phone and puts the groceries outside, nobody is allowed inside the store to shop.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It isn't all that far from where I live, @Marie2020 . About 5 hours south. And, there is a lovely pass coming down from the north to reach this valley - with several thousand people and a few small towns. Coming here directly west from Idaho is a little difficult. Yes, a canyon in the Snake River between Oregon and Idaho is deeper than the Grand Canyon.

Talking about my uncle who was on Iwo Jima and @Rhodie Ranch mentioning robins again on the weather thread makes me think to post this picture:

View attachment 37969
There he is, my Uncle Robin. He claimed that his mother named him after the birds :). The "robin" in North America is a little different than the European Robin, Marie. The early immigrants gave them the same name because of the red breasts. I never asked Uncle to take his shirt off and prove anything ;) ... good looking guy don't you think? That 15- or 13-year old standing there with him with his digitS' in his pockets is you-know-who.

BTW - on Dad's side, I had an uncle in the European Theater of the world war. Everyone else went from California to the Pacific. Uncle Ed was shot while parachuting into a war zone. Apparently, it wasn't a terrible wound. He was transferred from combat to be a guard at a military prison. He made a friend with a German inmate and my cousin still has a picture that the guy made for him ... I wonder what special favor that Uncle did for that handmade gift ;). Ya know ... that was the only one of the older uncles who didn't smoke cigarettes and the military handed them out free to everybody ... i wonder ...

Steve ;)
Wow. Steve, you really are an interesting person. I could spend hours listening to all these stories of your life family and home.
On your uncle, he was probably kind to this German guy and the gift was a thank you. Many people would have been lonely and suffered a great deal. I've heard stories of human kindness between those that should have been enemies.

Have you ever thought of writing a book? Maybe you already have, if so give me the title :).

There's nothing more comforting then a good read when there's nowhere to go and the weather is awful... The biggest plus for me is communicating with the person that's writing all of these fascinating memories.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have heard people and wrong in calling COVID a respiratory virus. I am not sure if that's right, but DD's friend's mother was sick 8 days, breathing fine, but getting too weak to get around, so she went to the hospital and they gave antibiotics and fluid, still has a fever but stronger, no sepsis, no pneumonia, so trying to say that I type medical reports and the patients that come to the ICU have pneumonia. Isn't pneumonia caused by inhaling a germ deep into lung, which is what happened to DH and DD in 2010, singing in the choir. I took care of them and DS and I never got sick. As for airborne parvo in dogs is. You can have your farm way away from all other dogs and have a litter of puppies get sick and no contact with anything, but usually it was cloudy, wet or they just got wormed or needed worming, some kind of stress. Also, when parvo first showed up NONE of the adult dogs ever got parvo, only puppies and this was supposed to be a new disease never before seen, so why didn't the adult dogs get sick?
I have no information on parvo at all. I really must look up this disease....
On the puppies getting it and not the adult dogs, maybe it's because they may of picked up tiny traces of this parvo their lifetime, building up their immunity to it. I really don't know but it would be interesting to know more.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no information on parvo at all. I really must look up this disease....
On the puppies getting it and not the adult dogs, maybe it's because they may of picked up tiny traces of this parvo their lifetime, building up their immunity to it. I really don't know but it would be interesting to know more.

I am talking about in the 1970s when parvo first showed up. The adult dogs had never been exposed to it. I had raised dogs for years before this and never heard of parvo or my dad who had raised dogs too. The vet in our town told me the virus escaped from a lab and killed all the dogs in the lab. I never questioned it or looked into it, but my older dogs did not get sick, only puppies. Some of the dogs that lived had heart disease and died around a year of age. I have not raised dogs for 20 some years, so I have no idea if parvo is as bad as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. I looked it up and said it started in 1978.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits ,

That's an interesting illness. Here's something that Wikipedia says:

"Parvoviruses can infect and may cause disease in many animals ... including humans. Because most of these viruses require actively dividing cells to replicate, the type of tissue infected varies with the age of the animals."

I have heard of testing for parvo in humans. Here is what happened in 1978 or so. Puppies perfectly healthy would stop eating and drinking. They would hang their head over the water bowl and not drink. They would have diarrhea and then it would be bloody diarrhea. They would be dehydrated so they would go to the vet and be hooked up to IV fluids. If the blood had started they usually did not make it. Parvo destroys the lining of the intestinal tract.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am talking about in the 1970s when parvo first showed up. The adult dogs had never been exposed to it. I had raised dogs for years before this and never heard of parvo or my dad who had raised dogs too. The vet in our town told me the virus escaped from a lab and killed all the dogs in the lab. I never questioned it or looked into it, but my older dogs did not get sick, only puppies. Some of the dogs that lived had heart disease and died around a year of age. I have not raised dogs for 20 some years, so I have no idea if parvo is as bad as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. I looked it up and said it started in 1978.
Ahhh. Okay I'm with you now. Here it's still a disease that is covered by the vets. It's strange how these diseases seem to come around, almost like fashion, but in no way as pleasant.
We've had the chicken flu warnings here, so even our feathered friends are on lockdown and being culled :(

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have heard of testing for parvo in humans. Here is what happened in 1978 or so. Puppies perfectly healthy would stop eating and drinking. They would hang their head over the water bowl and not drink. They would have diarrhea and then it would be bloody diarrhea. They would be dehydrated so they would go to the vet and be hooked up to IV fluids. If the blood had started they usually did not make it. Parvo destroys the lining of the intestinal tract.
There are many ways I've learned to deal with things such as poisons salmonella and a variant of stomach problems but I've never encountered a problem with the intestinal tract. Yet another lesson I need to get my head around