Discombobulated

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dreams are a part of my sleep and I have what I think of as "pandemic dreams," lately. These are consistently non-frightening experiences. Maybe, that is why they are occurring for me in 2020. Calming, familiar scenes and people ...

Last night's dream was a little different. Not especially upsetting but, maybe, meaningful. However, I often think of a joke that I heard years ago when I think to relate my dreams. It may have been a Seinfeld joke how dreams are meaningful to the person experiencing them but not to others: "But it was was a seedless grape!!!" Seinfeld said :D lol.

Anyway, this dream may have been prompted by me reading about a guy who became upset with the United States during the1960's and moved out of the country. Yeah, what happened to those guys over the last 50+ years? Times change ... did they change?

Dream: I was entering a post office and met someone that I didn't really know but our kids knew each other. He was there to renew his passport; I was probably buying stamps. We were chatting and went in to a large waiting area with tables and those stanchions guiding where you are supposed to wait. There were two "openings" between the ropes and we moved to one of the openings to wait for the person working at the counter.

The guy is telling me why he's there and that he is upset with Americans right now and planning to move out of the country. "You get outta line in these other countries, you are beaten." he says. "Yeah, beaten!"

This is apparently a good idea for this guy. I look over at more people who have come into the post office. They are lining up on the other side of the room. Uh, oh. The guy I'm with notices and says, kind of grumpy, "I better get over there before it gets too long."

I'm thinking, "But, we were here before they were. Sure, it's the polite thing to do and I should and will do it but ... How is it that this tough guy will do this? I mean, we were here first and formed a line. Then, I woke up.

Steve ;)
Your dreams sounds really tiring. I'd want to go back to sleep after a night like that :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just remembered something:

That Montana city ⬆ was where @marshallsmyth lived. A few months ago, she mentioned people flocking to Montana earlier this year when Covid-10 was so bad elsewhere. She said that Montanans characteristically talking to each other about how long or how many generations their family had lived in the state - that wasn't a very welcoming thing to do.

I remember Marshall also talking about that form of "political correctness." California boy, he said that he would refer to his grandparents and his uncle having lived there for decades. I have had that sorta thing happen to me here. When the subject comes up, I just try to say that I'm a "damn Californian," mention that I've been in this neck of the woods for over 50 years, and leave it at that. The fact that I'm older than all but a percentage of Americans, numbering in the single digitS', should be enough.

Mom enjoyed having a different response. She would say, "Oh, I was born in Lewiston Idaho. Where are you from." She said people would act rather shy in saying that they weren't born or from any place local. What Mom wouldn't admit to was that her Canadian father looooved the sunshine and could hardly wait to move his young family to southern California. Mom also loved it there - Dad was the one who drug her back north, in a series of moves almost always in the the same direction. For a guy born in the South and growing up within a stone's throw from the Mexican border, his orientation seemed odd to me ;).

That reminds me of a song. Maybe I will go over to @Marie2020 's thread and post a video :).

digitS'
You mentioned covid as being an airborne disease. About a week ago when we had this thick fog, I had to get my dog out in this bad weather. My sinus's became really congested and had the most awful head pain. Luckily I was taught how to deal with these situations or I really think I would have become ill.

What I'm getting at is, maybe this covid isn't only past on through human and animal interactions. What do you think ?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mentioned covid as being an airborne disease. About a week ago when we had this thick fog, I had to get my dog out in this bad weather. My sinus's became really congested and had the most awful head pain. Luckily I was taught how to deal with these situations or I really think I would have become ill.

What I'm getting at is, maybe this covid isn't only past on through human and animal interactions. What do you think ?

it may be possible, but i think fairly unlikely. it really depends upon how far you are away from the person who exhaled any viruses.

if you avoid enclosed spaces as much as possible, wear a mask and wash your hands regularly you are doing pretty well.

so far as a family we've managed to avoid this disease in large part because we're trying to do what has been recommended and it seems to work. whenever someone in our circle has gotten infected it is because someone who was infected was confined in proximity to someone else who's had it indoors or in close quarters.

one of our relatives who had it recently has not passed it to their spouse, but they think they had it before. somehow avoided it. will have to ask them when they're feeling better if they were doing anything in particular besides common sense sorts of things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Obviously, the respiratory system weakens with age and is damaged by pollution. Some of what I am lately seeing has reminded me of that asbestos industry executive who said "people have to die of something." !!!

Air pollution interferes with mental processes. Dumb joke - i hadn't thought of that. Of course, kids are effected. Dang! I'm sure that all of us suffer in a daze when we go around in a haze of contaminated air.

Just occurred to me that the link I posted to Time magazine is for recognition of healthcare workers, not politicians. DS has a close relative who is a Registered Nurse. She has a use-it-or-lose-it vacation. Now, of all times ... She is using it to change jobs, and I bet that will be easy enough. Her husband has MS and they have been living in a very rural area of Oregon. It's so rural that it's only served by small highways and winter snowstorms often close them off. Wonderful mountain skiing country, if it was a little closer to civilization. She might have it a little easier in life to be closer to cities. I know her. A city isn't the place she has ever wanted to be. They used to live in a very small town with a wonderful, ocean view.

Steve

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's so rural that it's only served by small highways and winter snowstorms often close them off. Wonderful mountain skiing country, if it was a little closer to civilization
Thinking about the place she lives now ... For your pleasure, here is a location not far away:

Wallowa_mts_lake.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It isn't all that far from where I live, @Marie2020 . About 5 hours south. And, there is a lovely pass coming down from the north to reach this valley - with several thousand people and a few small towns. Coming here directly west from Idaho is a little difficult. Yes, a canyon in the Snake River between Oregon and Idaho is deeper than the Grand Canyon.

Talking about my uncle who was on Iwo Jima and @Rhodie Ranch mentioning robins again on the weather thread makes me think to post this picture:

1607794294472.jpeg
There he is, my Uncle Robin. He claimed that his mother named him after the birds :). The "robin" in North America is a little different than the European Robin, Marie. The early immigrants gave them the same name because of the red breasts. I never asked Uncle to take his shirt off and prove anything ;) ... good looking guy don't you think? That 15- or 13-year old standing there with him with his digitS' in his pockets is you-know-who.

BTW - on Dad's side, I had an uncle in the European Theater of the world war. Everyone else went from California to the Pacific. Uncle Ed was shot while parachuting into a war zone. Apparently, it wasn't a terrible wound. He was transferred from combat to be a guard at a military prison. He made a friend with a German inmate and my cousin still has a picture that the guy made for him ... I wonder what special favor that Uncle did for that handmade gift ;). Ya know ... that was the only one of the older uncles who didn't smoke cigarettes and the military handed them out free to everybody ... i wonder ...

Steve ;)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

I have heard people and wrong in calling COVID a respiratory virus. I am not sure if that's right, but DD's friend's mother was sick 8 days, breathing fine, but getting too weak to get around, so she went to the hospital and they gave antibiotics and fluid, still has a fever but stronger, no sepsis, no pneumonia, so trying to say that I type medical reports and the patients that come to the ICU have pneumonia. Isn't pneumonia caused by inhaling a germ deep into lung, which is what happened to DH and DD in 2010, singing in the choir. I took care of them and DS and I never got sick. As for airborne parvo in dogs is. You can have your farm way away from all other dogs and have a litter of puppies get sick and no contact with anything, but usually it was cloudy, wet or they just got wormed or needed worming, some kind of stress. Also, when parvo first showed up NONE of the adult dogs ever got parvo, only puppies and this was supposed to be a new disease never before seen, so why didn't the adult dogs get sick?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits ,

That's an interesting illness. Here's something that Wikipedia says:

"Parvoviruses can infect and may cause disease in many animals ... including humans. Because most of these viruses require actively dividing cells to replicate, the type of tissue infected varies with the age of the animals."

Latest posts