Discombobulated

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are just reading the headlines on-line it's a real morass out there now. it is no surprise to me how people are behaving and reacting, but it sure sucks if because of their behavior they end up killing someone else.

i'm not all that far from Lansing, MI and the site of the "protestors" and such.

here are some recent stats for MI:
SexPercentage of Overall Cases by SexPercentage of Deceased Cases by Sex
Male46%54%
Female53%46%

Cases by Age
AgePercentage of Overall Cases by AgePercentage of Deceased Cases by Age
0 to 192%<1%
20 to 2910%<1%
30 to 3913%1%
40 to 4916%3%
50 to 5919%8%
60 to 6917%19%
70 to 7912%28%
80+11%41%

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Watching too much on PBS, this morning.

I used to enjoy how Smith would take a photograph of a very simple yard and house and draw in landscaping ideas. Artsy, yeah. Now, he has that eclectic approach to all sorts of subjects and it often looks impractical. I do like travel shows and nice scenery.

Then, Joe the gardener was on and touring the gardens of a professional gardening couple. Beautiful, then he says something about "simple and easy." I'm thinking, "What! You gotta know where to put that bush, how the path goes, which way to turn that stone!"

But, Joe was talking about making an outdoor chair. Okay. Dang, all square cuts ... I could probably do that ...

Steve

The current rage is "Tensegrity" tables if I am spelling it right. I am contemplating it. But thats one more thing to do.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Watching too much on PBS, this morning.

I used to enjoy how Smith would take a photograph of a very simple yard and house and draw in landscaping ideas. Artsy, yeah. Now, he has that eclectic approach to all sorts of subjects and it often looks impractical. I do like travel shows and nice scenery.

Then, Joe the gardener was on and touring the gardens of a professional gardening couple. Beautiful, then he says something about "simple and easy." I'm thinking, "What! You gotta know where to put that bush, how the path goes, which way to turn that stone!"

But, Joe was talking about making an outdoor chair. Okay. Dang, all square cuts ... I could probably do that ...

Steve
Yeah, like I want to take the t shirts that I USE for my summer chores and make a bag to collect vegetables with it. Kinda OVER the fleece blanket stuff where you tie knots. Reminds me of early retirees--like my uncle, now in his late 80's, who retired on full pension from Ohio Bell when he was 55yo. Moved to Tampa, lives in an ocean access cul de sac, bought a new boat, LOOKING for something to do.
Smith does his show to hawk his stuff. Guess the first COVID19 stimulus that gave a bunch of $ to PBS, is happy to spend it on trivialities.
@digitS', if you are looking for gardening programs or ANY programming, I can recommend some pretty good NETFLIX series.
At LEAST when I watch "This Old House" I do get some interesting ideas from the professional builders, their electrician, and their new gardener, like the show where on "Ask This Old House" she transformed an NYC 4 x 6' stoop area from a weedfest to a nice tiny garden area that required on watering in the first year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reading about some of the conspiracy theories, re: covid-19.

The BBC has been interviewing people from social media and had some research done on website traffic. So far, it's not too upsetting. The Traffic is not too upsetting! Most people are looking for information not off the wall imaginings.

Yeah, those are really sumthin! It looks to me that there are a half dozen+, totally unrelated, groups catching blame. I suspect that it is reciprocal so in multiples as you go down the list. If one thinks that there might be some middle ground on the effects of the virus, nope. Will it kill, or was it intended to kill, a large percentage of the population or is it essentially a hoax, start to finish. Some would even have it both ways ... I suppose that this would take a complete surrender of disbelief ... to someone or some group.

Uncertain times so, there we go.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean like the flu shot causes the Coronavirus. Or the Coronavirus has been dormant in our system for years but wearing a mask activates it? I heard those today. Ridiculous. But them someone actually thought Hillary and top democrats were running a child abuse ring in a pizza shop. Being a good American he brought a gun to the pizza shop to stop it. You just can't tell what some people will believe.

When I hear or read something outrageous that Trump said, that Pelosi said, or whatever I generally think that's the kind of thing Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, or terrorists trying to destroy democracy would spread to make us hate each other and weaken our country. I also think some of those stories are made up by American citizens right here that also just want to destroy. And some are repeated by people in a position of influence that don't care what nonsense they spread as long as it furthers their agenda.

Sorry about the rant but I do get wound up sometimes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These people in nursing homes with their families outside the windows ...

Missing my Mom on Mother's Day

VictoryGarden43001_zpsc6460ff6.jpg
The caption she wrote at the bottom of the picture: "My Victory Garden '43.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Read a local story that noted that hospitalized coronavirus patients from counties without hospitals are counted neither in their own county nor in the county where they are hospitalized. Interesting. It's like the health districts have limited their responsibility. Then also, those patients at the local VA hospital aren't counted either. Really? Why?

This idea that is going around in government economic circles:

Draw down social security early.

This is kind of a reverse mortgage! Olde people might want to do that with their homes and if their living expenses are beyond their income. It may make sense if they aren't concerned about their heirs and don't expect to be living beyond a few more years. A 40 year old tossing their retirement insurance is a sad thing.

Steve

Latest posts