Discombobulated

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This whole virus experience has been mostly confusion to me. People saying open the state and others saying don't open and how dangerous. We have hardly had any cases here. Wear a mask, not wear a mask? I know these cloth homemade masks are really for protection of others. If a sick person wears a mask then others will be protected, but if you are well and a sick person does not have a mask then it is not protecting you. I have DD pregnant, DS going to work, DB going to work and me being in the dangerous protect the old person age. I think this virus came through here in December or January, but no proof. I am for churches being open and all that, but I have said from the beginning they are dangerous. I hear people saying they are trying to take our rights away and close churches for all kinds of bad reasons, but I think there is something to close quarters, talking and singing and not just passing on a sidewalk or in a grocery store. DH and DD caught pneumonia in 2010. They were in the choir and most of the choir caught pneumonia that year. I think it had something to do with inhaling deeply while singing. DD and family are back in church. I have not gone back yet. I will be preaching to DD if I see a rise in cases in this area for her to stay home. She is due June 29 to have this baby. I worry what fall will bring and I hope it just goes away. It is hard to know what to believe. The biggest change it has caused me is buying clothes. You cannot try them on and DD is having trouble finding pregnancy tops. I make clothes for Evelyn but just for fun things. I have made a few shirts for myself and I am seriously thinking of getting better at this and make more tops for myself. I wish I could cut hair. A lot of women have cut their husbands and sons hair over the years and it is a good skill to know in hard times. DS looked like a shaggy dog. His will have stories to tell his kids someday of waiting in line 2 different days to get a haircut with the wind blowing and rain. I remember all the Depression stories from my parents and cringe at being wasteful.
My DIL had a baby amidst this crisis. To put your mind at ease, the hospitals have rigorous screenings for patients. Maternity staff does not overlap other patient staff. My son was allowed to stay with them. He could not leave the room for 3 days. The bathroom was in their room and he was fed what ever meals were leftover from feeding patients. Science still prevails in hospitals. The baby is 5 weeks old. My son has been working from home, had 4 weeks paid paternity leave. And they are all healthy , happy , and exhausted. The bottom line concerning masks according to people on the front lines is they work. Doctors and nurses are getting sick. But most are not. Remember that more infected persons are out there and not being counted. I am in a small town. I personally know 7 people who have had it. 6 uncounted. 1 on a vent for 3 weeks, and will need PT to walk again. All the rest had it 8 weeks ago or more and are still crawling through life. My niece is 8-9 weeks after the infection. She has a work order for a antibody test. She is waiting for the strength to get to a lab for a blood test. I will touch this new baby when I aim sure no one will get sick because of it. It looks like I will have to wait until there is a vaccine.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in a small town. I personally know 7 people who have had it. 6 uncounted. 1 on a vent for 3 weeks, and will need PT to walk again. All the rest had it 8 weeks ago or more and are still crawling through life. My niece is 8-9 weeks after the infection. She has a work order for a antibody test. She is waiting for the strength to get to a lab for a blood test. I will touch this new baby when I aim sure no one will get sick because of it. It looks like I will have to wait until there is a vaccine.

I am happy your new grandchild and family are well. I am scared about what will happen this fall. I am wondering about this summer too. I do not know anybody who has had it. People think the virus was here in December or January and I wonder if that's really true. My brother tells of people coughing at work and sick, but nobody was in the hospital. Our church members were sick, but not like the virus, but more bronchitis, and if so then we have not seen anything yet. Thank you about the information of the masks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

I am happy your new grandchild and family are well. I am scared about what will happen this fall. I am wondering about this summer too. I do not know anybody who has had it. People think the virus was here in December or January and I wonder if that's really true. My brother tells of people coughing at work and sick, but nobody was in the hospital. Our church members were sick, but not like the virus, but more bronchitis, and if so then we have not seen anything yet. Thank you about the information of the masks.
That is likely not what they had.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I dug holes and DW put tomato plants in and pulled soil around them. I had sorted 3 flats before we left home. Two were for us and one was for an old friend/gardening partner.

On the way to deliver the 3rd flat, I had this nagging feeling that I might have carried out the giveaway flat that morning to the garden. Oh, bother!! Well, I could check when I got there - renege on the giveaway for the moment - hurry back home to replace the ones that I hadn't intended to give - out in the garden, replace and repot the ones planted in error.

Surely, I hadn't made that mistake! I'll check ...

I was supposed to leave the plants with the friend's neighbor. I've had trouble with her dog before ... I park the pickup in front of her house. Should I make noise so as not to startle the dog? Should I be quiet and sneaky with the gate and just get the flat of plants in? Small front yard ... gate looks easy to open, quiet. Should I knock on the front door???

The door slowly opens as I freeze and stare at it! It's the lady's son ... "Hi, I was told to leave these here for your neighbor." "Oh, okay." "Thank you." I make a quick exit out the gate, still no sign of the dog.

Completely, forgot to check the plants to be sure that they weren't the ones that should have gone to our garden :oops:. Didn't think of that until I was back on the road driving home ... oh well, they were a diversified lot, either way. Some more plants available for transplanting at home as insurance. I will be out in the garden to check labels, today. I didn't need to add this extra stress probably for about a 1 in 10 possibility of having messed up.

🥴 digitS'

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave away a few too many tomato plants this year too - oops, but they all went to good homes! :thumbsup
I really lost may mind this year buying tomato seed. I can germinate tomato seed that is many years old. This year I finally ran out of luck with old seed and had a poor germination rate. So of course looking at alll the choices was very enticing. I always grow lots to give to family and friends . I will still have a ton left over after my plants are distributed. When a friend says I want 2 plants I can never understand that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really lost may mind this year buying tomato seed. I can germinate tomato seed that is many years old. This year I finally ran out of luck with old seed and had a poor germination rate. So of course looking at alll the choices was very enticing. I always grow lots to give to family and friends . I will still have a ton left over after my plants are distributed. When a friend says I want 2 plants I can never understand that.

haha so true! for us a small planting is 12 plants, some years we've gone as high as 40- something, last year was around 15, this year is around 38. we ran out of canned tomatoes a few months ago and now that i'm able to eat them again i'd like to have some more put aside (lasagna, spaghetti, or even just simple macaroni and tomatoes)...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, my bucket's got a hole in it
I can't buy no beer
~ Clarence Williams

Kid: Grandpa, that bucket of water that you are carrying sure looks heavy. How 'bout if I put something in it to make it lighter?

Grandpa: Now, whatever could that be?

Kid: A hole!

Latest posts