Discombobulated

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Memorial Day.

At least it was for 100 years and right through my childhood. Then, it became a Monday holiday and Columbus Day was made a new federal holiday and also on a Monday. I remember how the oil companies celebrated with so many Americans on the roads for their 3 day weekends!

Well over 100,000 deaths from the Coronavirus this week. That's what the epidemiologists tell us, noting that many are listed as pneumonia. Of course, places dependent on travelers like Florida would prefer not to see high numbers, if just from an economic reason. Everywhere, an "opening up" in stages ... or, not.

With increased testing and increased activity, Washington State is now reporting that over half of the new cases are in people under 40. The Seattle Times

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, to me those testing numbers are unreliable, that's probably the kindest way I can think or discussing them. If you don't test people under 40 you won't find cases in people under 40. If you do, you will.

I read a story this morning about certain states that have an increase in the number of cases. That story did not mention if there were any changes in testing, either in number of tests or how they were choosing who to test. I don't expect them to discuss which tests they are using and how reliable those tests are either.

I'm pretty confident some states are trying to test and report the results in a way to try to get a handle on what is going on and how to manage their state. I'm not that confident in all states. I'm not ready to mention specific states because I don't have enough detailed knowledge of what is happening inside those states and I don't expect to get that information from the media. But some of the statements some of these politicians are making makes me wonder who is advising them, someone who understands medicine or someone conducting polls of voters.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
haha so true! for us a small planting is 12 plants, some years we've gone as high as 40- something, last year was around 15, this year is around 38. we ran out of canned tomatoes a few months ago and now that i'm able to eat them again i'd like to have some more put aside (lasagna, spaghetti, or even just simple macaroni and tomatoes)...
Yea, me too. I have cut back to around 36.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is from the WA State Dept of Health. (That's about the best i can do.)

Screenshot_2020-05-30-08-19-47.png

You will notice that through March, the number of tests were averaging about 4,000. May, the average is about 6,000.

Remember that this state was one that was hit early by the infection,

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Girl Scout Song: there's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza dear Liza. There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

I can't remember where I saw this one, maybe on this forum somewhere. I'll butcher the telling.

A woman was struggling to carry a heavy bucket of water. She was asked if she wanted something to put in there to make it lighter. Rather unkindly she asked "What can you put in there that will make it lighter"? A hole.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, me too. I have cut back to around 36.

if i want to have time and energy to do other things sometime after the middle of August on i don't think we should do more than what we have put in, but at least we are limited by space inside the fence. the only reason i got so many plants is that i thought we were going to plant some outside the fenced gardens! then i found out we weren't! arg! if we get the usual 10 quarts or so per plant it will be a lot of work to get these all put up. likely we will be giving some away before we can them but it still takes time to grow and pick them so...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, to me those testing numbers are unreliable, that's probably the kindest way I can think or discussing them. If you don't test people under 40 you won't find cases in people under 40. If you do, you will.

I read a story this morning about certain states that have an increase in the number of cases. That story did not mention if there were any changes in testing, either in number of tests or how they were choosing who to test. I don't expect them to discuss which tests they are using and how reliable those tests are either.

I'm pretty confident some states are trying to test and report the results in a way to try to get a handle on what is going on and how to manage their state. I'm not that confident in all states. I'm not ready to mention specific states because I don't have enough detailed knowledge of what is happening inside those states and I don't expect to get that information from the media. But some of the statements some of these politicians are making makes me wonder who is advising them, someone who understands medicine or someone conducting polls of voters.

the increase testing is trying to find those who have it and are spreading it while they are not showing symptoms, this is the toughest aspect of this virus and if you want to protect an older population which has no vaccine then you have to somehow find those who are carrying and spreading it but not showing symptoms. you can't do that if you don't test...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A former collegue and her husband have it. They are around 40. She is more sick than he, but both still miserable. They have 2 teenagers who are not sick. I would guess they are asymptomatic from how virulent this disease is. They have all been tested-no results yet. But how do you rely on a test that gives false positives and false negatives?

Latest posts