Diy Trash to Treasure redo thread

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, she has Alzheimer that has been causing her some issues so we have been trying to help her catalog some of the important stuff while she remembers where it came from or any stories behind it. she has been trying to sell off a lot of this before it becomes a burden to her daughter & step-kids that will probably just toss most of it out. but i'll tell you, when it comes to a lot of her antiques most of it she wont be selling cheap since she knows her stuff! :p

items that belonged to her dh that passed away i think about 15 years ago she doesn't easily part with. it brings up lots of memories & seems to be tough on her. he was an auto mechanic & at one point that barn had a 61 Corvette in it. she sold it to a collector about a year ago but couldn't find the key. i'm hoping we could find it out there soon. i just don't remember if she said the collector would pay anything if the key was ever found!

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have these two copper measuring cups the one and half cup I know there was a 1/4 cup
with them when new in the 30's and would like to find that other 1/4 cup

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know those little carry bags that canvas lawn chairs come in nowadays? Well, we have a full ton of them hanging in our building, as we rarely take our lawn chairs anywhere but down to the fire pit and back. This involves using one of them for another purpose.

Anyhoo, the other day I was thinking of a way to immobilize a chicken so that I could work on them hands free, but in an easy and gentle manner, both for me and the bird. I have a hoop coop, so hanging such an apparatus was my plan, as it's easy to find hanging points in a hoop coop.

Here is the chicken sling, fashioned out of the nice, heavy nylon carrier sack for a canvas lawn chair...we have scads of those things lying around, not in use. I can see a few things I'll change on this design:

1. The velcro tabs were not sufficient for keeping this end of the sling closed if the chicken struggled or if it were a large chicken...I'll likely just make holes there and use a clip to keep it closed for those times.

2. Should have made it larger...just a tad, for my big ol' boy to fit better, though he seemed very comfortable and didn't move a muscle while he was in the sling. I may make another and make it larger and grommet the holes I need in the end, in place of the velcro tabs. As calm as they were in the sling, I doubt I'll need that feature at all anyway.

3. Move it slightly to the left of my work station...their feet was just brushing the edge of it and one got her foot under her and started to stand up. That was easily averted but to prevent the possibility in the future, I'll move it to where the feet do not touch any surface while they are hanging.

4. The hole I made for the head was fine if they are lying on their backs, but I found, with this apparatus, they were examined much better while upright, as the sling seemed to cause them to lift their tails obligingly for vent examinations...perfect! Meanwhile the seam to fashion the hole was preventing a comfortable way for their head to stick out the other end while upright, which was probably keeping them more calm but I'd like the option for them to do so if it doesn't make them too excited.

With the big boy in it.....

LL

And the smallest chicken...the Egg Eater aka EE. Not really an egg eater...well...ALL chickens are egg eaters, but it's just a private joke on my own forum about the breed.

LL

LL

With a bird on her back....I didn't like this position as well as I do when I'm working on them without the sling. Without the sling it's the only way to visualize the vent and hold them still, but when they are in the sling on their backs, the pressure of their weight in the sling prevents good visualization of the vent. I'll probably discard the "on their back" design features altogether now.

LL

Even though the sling is not tilted towards the front end of these birds, they still seem to obligingly lift the tail while in it, as this BA is doing....perfect for examining the vent and doing feet work. Not so great if I need to measure abdominal capacity or pelvic width, but that can be done pretty quickly on the way back to the roosts if needed.

LL

When I'm done with it, it's unclipped on one end and neatly folded up into the rafters of the coop.

LL

Final review of the first mock up? Where has this been all my chickening life??????
happy-dancing.gif
Exams went so smooth, getting them in and out of the sling was so easy, all areas I needed to see were easily seen and attended to even easier. My work station was left open for all my stuff, instead of trying to fit my stuff AND a chicken in the same space, while preventing them from flapping and kicking my stuff to the floor.

I didn't have to hold them with one hand, while trying to work on them with the other....BLISS.
Love_.gif
I was done in record time and the chickens seemed WAY less bothered by the whole process, returning to a calm state on the roosts before I even got out the door....feet all oiled, butts and skin all checked, nails and spurs clipped and dremeled. Without exception, they all hung calmly in this sling without attempts to struggle or get free in any way...very calm birds throughout the experiment.

I've got the rest of the chair baggy to use for my final product and will post pic of it in action when I get it done. I tested this one with the cat and he seemed to love it and the chickens did too, so I'm thinking a good result.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know those little carry bags that canvas lawn chairs come in nowadays? Well, we have a full ton of them hanging in our building, as we rarely take our lawn chairs anywhere but down to the fire pit and back. This involves using one of them for another purpose.

Anyhoo, the other day I was thinking of a way to immobilize a chicken so that I could work on them hands free, but in an easy and gentle manner, both for me and the bird. I have a hoop coop, so hanging such an apparatus was my plan, as it's easy to find hanging points in a hoop coop.

Here is the chicken sling, fashioned out of the nice, heavy nylon carrier sack for a canvas lawn chair...we have scads of those things lying around, not in use. I can see a few things I'll change on this design:

1. The velcro tabs were not sufficient for keeping this end of the sling closed if the chicken struggled or if it were a large chicken...I'll likely just make holes there and use a clip to keep it closed for those times.

2. Should have made it larger...just a tad, for my big ol' boy to fit better, though he seemed very comfortable and didn't move a muscle while he was in the sling. I may make another and make it larger and grommet the holes I need in the end, in place of the velcro tabs. As calm as they were in the sling, I doubt I'll need that feature at all anyway.

3. Move it slightly to the left of my work station...their feet was just brushing the edge of it and one got her foot under her and started to stand up. That was easily averted but to prevent the possibility in the future, I'll move it to where the feet do not touch any surface while they are hanging.

4. The hole I made for the head was fine if they are lying on their backs, but I found, with this apparatus, they were examined much better while upright, as the sling seemed to cause them to lift their tails obligingly for vent examinations...perfect! Meanwhile the seam to fashion the hole was preventing a comfortable way for their head to stick out the other end while upright, which was probably keeping them more calm but I'd like the option for them to do so if it doesn't make them too excited.

With the big boy in it.....

LL

And the smallest chicken...the Egg Eater aka EE. Not really an egg eater...well...ALL chickens are egg eaters, but it's just a private joke on my own forum about the breed.

LL

LL

With a bird on her back....I didn't like this position as well as I do when I'm working on them without the sling. Without the sling it's the only way to visualize the vent and hold them still, but when they are in the sling on their backs, the pressure of their weight in the sling prevents good visualization of the vent. I'll probably discard the "on their back" design features altogether now.

LL

Even though the sling is not tilted towards the front end of these birds, they still seem to obligingly lift the tail while in it, as this BA is doing....perfect for examining the vent and doing feet work. Not so great if I need to measure abdominal capacity or pelvic width, but that can be done pretty quickly on the way back to the roosts if needed.

LL

When I'm done with it, it's unclipped on one end and neatly folded up into the rafters of the coop.

LL

Final review of the first mock up? Where has this been all my chickening life??????
happy-dancing.gif
Exams went so smooth, getting them in and out of the sling was so easy, all areas I needed to see were easily seen and attended to even easier. My work station was left open for all my stuff, instead of trying to fit my stuff AND a chicken in the same space, while preventing them from flapping and kicking my stuff to the floor.

I didn't have to hold them with one hand, while trying to work on them with the other....BLISS.
Love_.gif
I was done in record time and the chickens seemed WAY less bothered by the whole process, returning to a calm state on the roosts before I even got out the door....feet all oiled, butts and skin all checked, nails and spurs clipped and dremeled. Without exception, they all hung calmly in this sling without attempts to struggle or get free in any way...very calm birds throughout the experiment.

I've got the rest of the chair baggy to use for my final product and will post pic of it in action when I get it done. I tested this one with the cat and he seemed to love it and the chickens did too, so I'm thinking a good result.
WOW that looks great. You might want to think about a patent for the design. I am sure many chicken breeders would love this.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what folks keep saying but I have no idea about patents...last I heard it costs around 10K to apply for a patent? Not happenin' here, for sure.

I'd also like to patent my little hole in the top of the stocking cap for little girl's pony tails. A two holer and a one holer would be great. I've had to adapt a cap for my grandchild as she has too much hair up top to wear a toboggan properly...they just work up and off her little ears if I try to keep them on top of her ponytail. I've seen knitted caps for women but none like this little cotton cap for girls...got it at Good Will for a buck, then cut a hole in the top for hair.

The two holer is seriously adorable! I've searched the net and can't find anything out there like it yet.

LL
LL

100_5423.jpg

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Beekissed wasn't it that built the playhouse? I can totally see this lil' Darling playing in such a place. I love the cap idea. I have grands with a lot of hair too but
never thought of this.

Speaking of tires I found several old tires on the property. One raggedly cut in half. I'm thinking of planting something in them like potatoes or melons.

Latest posts