Do You Use Your Car To Transport Garden Supplies ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle great gas mileage Vs roomy. I went the other way Lincoln mountaineer to Honda CR. The mountaineer had extra seats in back was roomy and very comfortable. Honda well gets much better gas milage

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle great gas mileage Vs roomy. I went the other way Lincoln mountaineer to Honda CR. The mountaineer had extra seats in back was roomy and very comfortable. Honda well gets much better gas milage

I do miss the mileage, went from about 24 to 15mpg.

But everything else makes up for it.

We have 4 vehicles, dh's work truck seats 3, his Wrangler seats 2. He took out the back seat (which was only suitable for athletic children who could contort enough to climb into from the front doors), my old Tacoma seats 2 on a good day, and my beautiful Tundra which can seat 5 full grown adults with plenty of leg room.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the day i tried bringing home an 8' fruit tree with lots of branches was the time i realized i needed to have a truck or a trailer for the car. i ended up with a nice little trailer for the car but i don't like having to back that thing into a driveway. also can't use the trailer for heavy items like bricks or lots of mulch. we also have an Outback but i don't like to take that since my DH used to smoke cigars which it now reeks of them! :sick

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I transported my Autumn Glory tree in my minivan. No shame here.

I also had a Ford Ranger back in the day. My parents redid their kitchen and I packed it full of crap to haul to the dump. Used the counters to help me pile up stuff higher in it. Go to the weigh in and the guy steps out from the little building with the scale and says to me "I saw your Ranger but when I saw the scale I had to double check it!! I didn't think anybody could haul that much stuff in 1 trip!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This observation could go on the old Dodge pickup news thread but the most recent doesn't have a perfect fit.

I also drive an olde Dodge. Not as old as @Nyboy 's (altho the farm truck when I was a kid was a '52 ;)). Currently, the Dodge is almost 20 years old. Other times, I might be driving a fairly nondescript car, a 4 door hatchback.

What I notice is the traffic around me. The vehicle speedometers seem accurate; I've checked that repeatedly, as carefully as I can. Sure, I feel more physically secure in the pickup. It's the attitude of other drivers to my speed :rolleyes:. I'm totally caught up in maintaining my speed in the car.

In the old pickup, I swear -- other drivers must subconsciously assume an attitude of "why bother, what's the hurry?" It has a positive effect on immediate neighbors for safety :D.

Of course, I'm nearly deaf so wouldn't really be aware of rattles and bangs (nor, curses) as I journey on my way ...

Steve

Latest posts