Drug Ads

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
followed by "may-cause ...

And, the viewers may still ask their MD to put them on that drug.

They are the target audience. The ads are not directed towards the doctors who make the diagnosis and, presumably, have far greater expertise in evaluating tests.

"Please doctor, maybe I need xd®¢e3A#? I heard about it and it sounds like it might help!" My idea is that they are responding to an upbeat, entertaining ad.

Many of us have health concerns. It would be so wonderful to just shelf them! If only ...

Steve
hey! just this morning, i practiced a more comfortable position to lie in bed ... adding that one to my repertoire :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
About those "wonder drugs" biologics that can weaken the immune system: they are prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis to any one who has insurance, I suppose. My brother, who has RA like I do, was almost killed by one of those wonder drugs. He got histoplasmosis and was pretty much on death's door before the docs at Vanderbilt U figured out what it was.
My mother took them and had constant UTIs because her immune system was so compromised. She also had candida all through her various organs. Which nearly killed her. Thank you Humira.
I'm pretty sure I won't be taking any. Not to speak of the $1,000 to $2,500 per month price tag.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what happened with that drug that made your eye lashes grow longer and fuller? "Doc, I need this drug!"

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The problem with today’s world and drugs is that we want the “cure” inside a pill with no side affects. When we don’t get the “no side affects” to the lawyer we go to “get rich”. If I was in the medical field, I’d make every patient sign a waiver not allowing to sue for ANY reason.

I don’t know how many people have diabetes 2, eat sweets/carbs & then run take their pill. Change your diet-lose the extra weight. We don’t want to do that instead complain about doctors and drugs.

End of rant.....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, the viewers may still ask their MD to put them on that drug.

They are the target audience. The ads are not directed towards the doctors who make the diagnosis and, presumably, have far greater expertise in evaluating tests.

"Please doctor, maybe I need xd®¢e3A#? I heard about it and it sounds like it might help!" My idea is that they are responding to an upbeat, entertaining ad.
"We'll send you this free guide, to help you have the conversation with your doctor." In other words, they will coach you on what to say, to convince your doctor to prescribe the medication they convinced you to buy. The doctor probably needs convincing because that (exorbitantly expensive) drug wouldn't be their preferred treatment option. Advertising drugs directly to the consumer is already a red flag to me... if the drug in question is the most safe & appropriate treatment for the condition, your doctor should already be prescribing it without being prompted to do so.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the nurses know more than the doctors. They just go to their preferred drug. The nurses are the ones who do the research about drug interactions, side affects, etc. my daughter has an app she has to use to double check the doctors suggestions-same with your pharmacist. Doctors are so busy wit( patients, rounds, etc, it’s anazing they have a life-probably why so many are on marriage 3 or 4.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think doctors are persuaded against their better judgement to prescribe drugs. I think the pharmaceutical representatives do a pretty good job of convincing them and providing samples for them to use on patients.

It's really important to do your own research these days. You have to be your own advocate. Doctors are just human. I have heard so many horror stories these past few years, and have witnessed mistaken diagnoses and over prescribed medications in my own friends and relatives.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly don't want a physician who would go against better judgment to be persuaded to a wrong course of treatment. However, doctors have options even though many would follow beaten paths for their own purposes which may not be the best routes for everyone. They are likely to know that. Finally, we are their clients and have options of providers, as well. MD's may talk about conditions and patients as resistant to treatment but who wants a grouchy old stubborn jerk as a physician?

Lawyers? Okay, everyone wants to hire a grouchy old stubborn jerk!

At the very least, I need the physician to provide a second opinion to my layman's notions and imagings. No one wants a docile lawyer.

Without the one, the individual may be the victim of his own silliness. Without the other, he or she may be the victim of the more powerful, especially the unscrupulous corporations.

A very mild example: I picked up my almond milk to pour it over my cereal this morning. On the carton it says "reduced sugar." Reduced from what???

A glance at the ingredients shows that sugar is #3. So, it is "added." Reduced from some arbitrary recipe ... Well ! Mild game but how many games and plays on words and ingredient shortcuts do we want from the drug companies? Proof may be disastrous and we can't really afford it.

Steve
Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk. ~ Henry David Thoreau

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
A2 milk is on the way for lactose intolerant people. I HATE the use of the term milk for nut water-who milks nuts? Should be outlawed as it’s just flavored water..... end of rant

Latest posts