Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
1622920762700.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD's had aNOTHER hive to dispose of! This one was growing on the west wall of their 2nd story bathroom! They had only been there for a few weeks!!:th
Same Apiary cleaned them out. Just another VERY HEALTHY HIVE LIVING INSIDE OF THEIR HOUSE!!!!!
The work on their new porch had to stop. The guy doing the work is a mason, and would Really like to fix the bricks on their 1920's home. I think they are going to hire him bc several more "bee sessions" will be about the same price.
They are called, "Olive Branch Apiary," bc their property borders the Olive Branch of the Salt Fork River. Just fyi.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
After about one week of Florida weather, I could see the clouds gathering Saturday evening. DH and I met our 2 DD's at a restaurant 15 min away that has a great menu, and came in 10 minutes before the deluge. It was supposed to be a severe T-storm some 50 miles NE of us, but WE were named by the TWC for our flash flooding. We ate our great meal, left to drizzling, and came back to a flooded road in the middle of town. Our neighbor had their whole yard covered with 3 inches of water.
We are about 12 inches higher and I only saw flooding in various parts of my pasture. Our house is older and, at that time, farmers picked the highest ground, and the small difference in elevation is signifigant.
Fortunately, my friend's garden will be ok, and probably grow like gangbusters.
I am praying for the residents of NE Arkansas, who have been getting storm after storm like THIS ONE, for weeks now.
I left 3 buckets outside, for...reasons. After the storm, they were all 8 inches full of water.
It DID leave us cooler yesterday.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I congratulate @Carol Dee for picking a Catulpa, which is a midwestern native tree.
Real scientists are warning that we should include more native trees, bushes, flowers in our landscapes. Insects are the foundation of all food chains and native insects have evolved with native flora. Plants from one continent are mostly resistant to insects in other continents and our local flora can survive being eaten on. They may look a little bit battered, but many don't even look like the insects have been there.
Please consider this before you plant trees/bushes that are wholely resistant, like a burning bush. These plants have been escaping our landscapes and have become invasive in our forested areas.
"

Why Invasive Non-Native Plant Species are a Problem​

Within their own range, plant species belong in a particular ecosystem where they have evolved in balance with other plant, animal and insect species. That balance is maintained by the totality of that ecosystem, as the plants provide food for particular predators. When they find themselves away from their normal range, the absence of predators and competitors gives certain species a key competitive advantage over the native flora."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, it isn't just the US that sees this as a problem. MY favorite weeder is still my spade. I started This season by clearing areas and digging up weeds. Where I couldn't get the roots, I have my "to go" cup with a small paintbrush and herbicide to target ONLY the weed, and not surrounding vegetation.
Btw, I wouldn't worry at ALL about herbs, EXCEPT don't E V E R plant horseradish! It can grow a 15 ft root, if left alone!!
"Container" herbs that you are worried about, like mint. I don't contain mine, but I don't worry about the spread, which has been minimal for me. Then, again, I have a very big yard.
I STILL highly recommend using oregano as a ground cover. It is easy to pull out where you don't want it.
Consider growly parsley.

Latest posts