Finally...Some Snow! :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can hum Dashing Through the Snow while you look at these.

The Honeycrisp tree.
DSCN3417.JPG

It's amazing how much snow can pile up on a bare cattle panel.
DSCN3412.JPG

Mom's bottle tree.

DSCN3408.JPG

Snow curling off the little horse shed.
DSCN3430.JPG

DSCN3429.JPG

Huckleberry eyeing me BALEfully....
DSCN3425.JPG

And of course, a gratuitous dog pic.
DSCN3416.JPG

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have had in the last week 5" of rain, correct me if i am wrong 1" of rain equals a foot of snow. dang we would be buried....
speaking of which just heard thunder, so thats means in 12 days we should see snow<southern folklore>... i know many of would love to see this rain, but the 10 day says more is coming.. the ground is so saturated we are having flash floods...

oh @thistlebloom love the dogs playing...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't need your rain right now, @majorcatfish . We will hope this snow stays around and is added to. Then, it can melt slowly into the ground for next year's plant growth. Yay!

The rivers probably need some water but surely the lower Columbia is getting enough rainwater without needing our snow melt just yet. Not trying to be selfish ...

Yes, 1" water times 10, plus or minus = inches of snow. It depends on temperature and humidity.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have had in the last week 5" of rain, correct me if i am wrong 1" of rain equals a foot of snow. dang we would be buried....
speaking of which just heard thunder, so thats means in 12 days we should see snow<southern folklore>... i know many of would love to see this rain, but the 10 day says more is coming.. the ground is so saturated we are having flash floods...

oh @thistlebloom love the dogs playing...
@majorcatfish we are getting the exact same weather here! Flooding along the Wapsipinicon north of us. Fields are flooding. Creeks are out of their banks. Our basement keeps flooding. (Had to get a new sump pump. Thunder and lightening with tornado warnings today! since we took the rain gauge in thinking winter and freezing I do not know how many inches we had. Sure glad it did not come as snow. We would be buried.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tree in back just snapped off about 13' from the ground. I noticed it leaning yesterday. The snow is sticking and piling up on the branches so I'm sure we'll have a lot more breakage before it warms up enough for the snow to slide off.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish we are getting the exact same weather here! Flooding along the Wapsipinicon north of us. Fields are flooding. Creeks are out of their banks. Our basement keeps flooding. (Had to get a new sump pump. Thunder and lightening with tornado warnings today! since we took the rain gauge in thinking winter and freezing I do not know how many inches we had. Sure glad it did not come as snow. We would be buried.

the ncdot has been watching the raw river where it crosses I-40, it's almost touching the girders of the bridges and we are expected to get another 3/4" tonight, we lost another 5' of the drainage easement here with this last storm...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Five feet? I think I'd be hauling concrete, rocks, and other heavy fill along my side of the drainage gully. So far, the gully out back runs deeply through the neighbors' property and spreads out on mine, slowing it down a bit. Then it speeds up through the limestone quarry. The worst it has ever done is take topsoil from all the neighboring property and deposit it in my yard.

Latest posts