Finally...Some Snow! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the support Red. Bay, we've had this cabin for about 20 years and didn't touch it. All of a sudden I got this itch to fix it up. We remodeled one of the bathrooms, painted the kitchen cabinets and I totally decorated the place. Had lots of fun spending money. :D Looks modern and traditional with a warm cabin feel. The open living room and kitchen I left the knotty pine.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee , here is what the weather channel says about US Weather Service snow records:

"Tamarack, Calif. in the Sierra Nevada Mountains holds the United States record for greatest snow depth ever measured. A maximum snow depth of 451 inches, or 37.5 feet, was recorded on March 11, 1911." LINK

Mary's charming cabin may not be at Tamarack but I'd bet that they are on opposite sides of Yosemite and not far as the crow flies.

An unusual thing that just happened was that the North Pole hit 32°F for a high ... LINK!!. I can't call it an "afternoon" high since there hasn't been even a peep of sunlight at the North Pole in quite awhile! THAT was the MidWest weather a couple of days ago.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been to tamarack! It's close to Sonora (gold country). Probably about an hour from our cabin.

Nyboy, next time we go up there. Probably during Martin Luther Kings birthday holiday.

Mary

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Might I add to this thread that we are extremely jealous of all the snow! We rarely see snow here in this part of Alabama- once every few years do we see some, and even then it only sticks for a couple of days. We did have a bad snow storm a year or two ago in Birmingham that caused a LOT of problems- no one is used to it here, so cars were abandoned all over the interstate and children were locked up in their schools for days and unable to go home.

I've never been sledding before so like I said in jealous of you folks that have snow! We've had nothing but rain and the other day it was 80 degrees here!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
SIgh! I can't believe, HomesteaderWife, that you are complaining about not having snow! I was born and raised within a few miles of my home so I've had more then my share. It is what it is. The older I get the less snow it takes to make my winter.

I am way past dreaming of a white Christmas. One cat-tracking snow and I'm ready for spring. Sledding is over-rated (at least for women of my 'maturity'). Ice skating is more fun in an arena than on a bumpy, frozen lagoon on a windy, winter night. Other than the first snowfall, (which looks a lot like what you've seen at home with bumper banging and ditch diving) most Wisconsinites know how to drive in our 'typical' winter weather, but it is still not fun and less so as I get older.

I am writing this tongue-in-cheek as I know exactly what you mean. There is a tendency for us to wish for/dream of what we don't have. I would love to spend serious winter time in a warmer, snow-free area myself. I doubt that I ever will. The family -- children, grands, and inlaws -- live here.

I would wish for you to get some of our winter weather, but I'm afraid you'd regret what you got. If only for one day, I'd love to trade our ice and snow for your rain and 80 degrees.
Until then, I love to hear about your winter gardening experiences while dreaming about mine.

Latest posts