Fires in the West

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have African Dust! :\
Is this the storms that blows out of the Sahara that bring hurricanes across the Atlantic?

All connected.

I can remember @Ridgerunner reporting on his terrible drought one year in Arkansas ... while I'm lamenting our continuous cool and cloudy growing season and nothing much growing. This year, Atlantic coast getting all that rain!

@Nyboy could just stand outside after dark with his bar of soap. Weather Service says chance of "heavy rain" (& lightning!) for his location.

Steve
wishing the 30mph wind gusts yesterday hadn't just added dust and new smoke to what he was thinking about breathing

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this the storms that blows out of the Sahara that bring hurricanes across the Atlantic?

All connected.

I can remember @Ridgerunner reporting on his terrible drought one year in Arkansas ... while I'm lamenting our continuous cool and cloudy growing season and nothing much growing. This year, Atlantic coast getting all that rain!

@Nyboy could just stand outside after dark with his bar of soap. Weather Service says chance of "heavy rain" (& lightning!) for his location.

Steve
wishing the 30mph wind gusts yesterday hadn't just added dust and new smoke to what he was thinking about breathing

It wasn't just me, I think @baymule (and others of course) had it ever worse. And it was two consecutive years. We all get hammered with something occasionally, maybe that makes the nice days or years that much nicer. Be careful breathing that stuff Steve.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the second time that we have had the African Dust. I wonder if it brings bacteria and germs too. some people's sinuses are really torn up. Doesn't bother me....excuse me I need to go blow my nose with a Clorox wipe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
More sneezing than usual with me.

DD had asthma throughout childhood. She went off for an inhaler.

My eyes are a torment by late afternoon.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
B.C. is on fire, we also have fires here on Vancouver Island. The smoke was so thick in the air today planes had to be grounded.

The smoke blowing over from the mainland as well as from the fires on the island was thick enough we couldn't see Mt. Benson or the harbor, not quite like a London Fog but pretty darn close.
Eyes feel scratchy and lots of sneezing and coughing and now listening to the news tonight they're telling us this is going to be the normal.
We had a few drops of rain the other day but other than that no rain all summer. Global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it, it's here. They're saying this is going to be the normal :(.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nan...AUIDCgD&biw=1056&bih=719#imgrc=KTIwISSFM88PWM:

Annette

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
^^^ I read that, AfterM. I know that Seattle and Portland have very unhealthy air. Its all the way down from Seattle to central California. We went to the beach yesterday, cus we're camping with the Grands. Lincoln City, OR. Very smokey there too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smoke on the Pacific?

I wish that I could wash the sky. I'm wondering if some of the coating of dust on everything is actually smoke stain. Any little sprinkle will just make a mess.

Washing the sky is an irrational thought but when the wind comes up, one can see clouds of dust rising off fields of wheat stubble. Even a stack of alfalfa hay has dust blowing off it.

The air is irritating. Of course, the skin on my hands is splitting from work and the dryness. Thinking out loud: Baths with Aveeno might be helpful if I was accustomed to lying in cool water. Sure don't want to be taking hot baths!

For someone who is generally comfortable in our local hot summer, it feels strange to want to hide indoors.

Need Rain and NO lightning.

digitS'

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smoke on the Pacific?

I wish that I could wash the sky. I'm wondering if some of the coating of dust on everything is actually smoke stain. Any little sprinkle will just make a mess.

Washing the sky is an irrational thought but when the wind comes up, one can see clouds of dust rising off fields of wheat stubble. Even a stack of alfalfa hay has dust blowing off it.

The air is irritating. Of course, the skin on my hands is splitting from work and the dryness. Thinking out loud: Baths with Aveeno might be helpful if I was accustomed to lying in cool water. Sure don't want to be taking hot baths!

For someone who is generally comfortable in our local hot summer, it feels strange to want to hide indoors.

Need Rain and NO lightning.

digitS'

I read that just a mask will not work to protect lungs and need a special kind of mask. It made me thing about what is actually happening to our lungs. I think it is smoke and not dust on things and going into our lungs.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening: I just got a note from one of my husband's elder brothers. He and wife left Hayden and drove the camper to Montana to get away from the smoke for a couple of weeks. He's a huge bass fisherman and a bow hunter, so it must be really bad up your way for them to leave. But then again, they are in their mid 70's so its not good to take chances with smoke.

Latest posts