Great Pyrenees Puppy!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love our little fellow. But, we tried to crate train him in too much of a hurry.... In the past we have gotten pups at 9 to 10 weeks old. Cherokee was 13 weeks. Makes a BIG difference! He was too big already for a small crib by the bed, where you can stick you hand in and comfort them or know if they need to potty.
So.. we (wrongly) thought, since he is so big, why not just put him in the big crate from the first night and partition it off so it will be smaller.

Well, that was a terrible idea! Now we are having to start over with an open crate, and one of us sleeping beside him. At our age, this will most likely be our last BIG puppy. I'll be 74 when he is 10 years old! He is sooooooooo good, except if you want him to sleep in the crate with the door closed!

Oh well, it will take longer now for him to consider the crate his "den" and like being in there.
My prediction: You will soon be getting a kingsized bed to fit him in with you....Hhahahahahahahahahah

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used acratefor my last 3dogs. Lily, my dal, won the crate battle. After several screaming nights, we bit the bullet and let her cry forr hours. After we thought we could take it no more, all went quiet,we fedll asleep, for about 20 minutes. And she started again. She sleeps in a dog bed and gets left in our mud room when we go to bed. She ishappy with that. she certainly won the battle.My sister tells me she is way more spoiled then the dal before her. I donh't see it...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: Good dog. A real winner!:lol: No, I would never think that dog was spoiled one bit.:lol:

I have never had a dog that used a crate. Most of the time, I got the new pet in the summer and was home all the time for training. Bucky was a road drop that came home close to Christmas so I had lots of time for that tiny fuzz ball, too.

I am house trained. I have a built in timer for potty training baby or pet. It goes off every two hours or so during the day when I take my new pet out for some potty and play. I also wake up every two hours to go out with it. (Babies, of course, get different attention.)

I think crates are a great idea. One idea I never heard of when I started getting dogs. I just keep doing what I've always done as long as it keeps working for me.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Love puppy threads!! :love
You gotta know the breeds. DD just got her first attorney job and she's planning on getting a house in about 6 months. She wants me to get her a puppy like our mix, "Pygma" (Lab/Gs x Pitbull), bc she loves the Lab clingy stuff that Pyg does, the leaning and begging for love and petting. When I get my next puppy I still want to have my other two dogs alive, and Pyg won't accept a puppy right away. "Rose" (Husky/GS x BC) loves puppies and babies, so that won't be a problem.
Hopefully your b_itch will accept your puppy when he outweighs her! :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that Trip is not a full blood Great Pyrenees. He is half Pyr and half Maremma. I had my suspicions because Trip doesn't have the double dewclaws, hallmark of the Great Pyrenees breed. The guy DH bought him from came in and DH put him on the phone to me. He had never heard of a Maremma and thought both of his dogs were Pyrs. I told him what to look for and sure enough, Trip's momma is a Maremma and his dad is Great Pyrenees.

Both breeds descended from the Tibetan Mastiff, the Great Pyrenees in France and the Maremma in Italy. Both are big white hairy livestock guard dogs. So it doesn't matter to me if Trip is half and half. There is not a lot of difference between the two breeds.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right Bay both are great guard dogs and looks so familiar most people can't tell the difference. I bet Trip is gonna be a great guard dog.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@baymule, congratulations!!! he is just gorgeous. and since my Katie is a purebred Maremma and i love the way she does her job you know i think the half and half combo is great. good job DH!

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
you will note that at 2 yrs of age miss Katie's tan ears haven't faded much. and you know that Paris was just teaching Trip to mind his manners. Katie did the same thing to Ben but never left a mark on him. didn't take long for him to learn and before long they did wonderful together. Ben's breeder contacted me yesterday, she has another litter, thinking about it but not sure if I'm going to get another pup yet. Katie needs the help but I'm not sure.. 144.JPG

Latest posts