Hay Moose!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty neat~ but~ they get into you bales~ how's that OK```

Surprisingly, they don't make a mess. The popped bales are under an extra tarp and they leave it be, so they are just taking nibbles out of the sides of the tight ones. I don't mind the hay they do get. I'm not one to deliberately feed the wild things (besides birds) but I'm okay with a little sharing.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Surprisingly, they don't make a mess. The popped bales are under an extra tarp and they leave it be, so they are just taking nibbles out of the sides of the tight ones. I don't mind the hay they do get. I'm not one to deliberately feed the wild stuff (besides birds) but I'm okay with a little sharing.
Do they eat a lot of it? I'd hate to see you spending a lot of money to feed them, no matter how cute.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, they don't eat much really. They're browsers so the alfalfa is kind of an appetizer, or dessert. They may stand at the stack and eat for 15 minutes then move off and eat the underbrush. I haven't seen any of them today yet.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I stepped out on the patio. As long as you don't approach the calf, Old Ma is pretty complacent, but she doesn't take her eyes off you. If her hackles start going up you know you've outstayed your welcome.
It had never occurred to me that mooses had hackles..
Real hackles? Like a dog or cat?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will they run or stand their ground from your dogs ?

They turn dogs into toejam. They get very agitated just seeing a dog breathe.

My dogs don't challenge them. If they're in the dog run they'll bark an alert then be quiet and lay in their dog houses. If the dogs are loose in the yard they lay low, and I will bring them into the house just to be on the safe side.
My neighbors let their BMD bark and chase.
I think that's very foolish.
You will eventually be reading about him ( the dog) in the obituaries.

Latest posts