Heads-up @Baymule, I'm studying your pig threads

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
American Guinea Hog. It's a heritage breed that is considered very well suited to small farm/mini homestead sort of raising.

Ok, update. The 2 gilts (young females) were sold. The adult female (mom) is still there & I've agreed to take her if I can work out the details in a few days.
I know all pigs root. This being my first go-round with them, I'm not sure what to expect.
I've picked out 2 places that would each make a good pen. Each offers some sun, some shade, natural damp areas to wallow, easy access to get water & feed to her, & an easy tie-in to the electric fence.
The best one (in the corner of the pasture) happens to have the sewer line that leads to my drain field running under it - 30" deep. Concern? Or not an issue?
The other is along the far side of the barn. It has more shade. It's wetter - roof runoff. But it would locate any stink right where I would encounter it up close any time I'm doing anything with Eva & the garden.
Both are going to take a good bit of work to make ready.
Any opinion on site choices?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is the sow Bred? How tame is she? How old is she? I apologize for all the questions but it affects my answer.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting choices. If it stays wet it will likely have an aroma to it. Manure and wet combined does that. If it is pretty dry it should not be that bad most of the time. After a rainy spell, well that can be different. I don't much like the second choice because of the potential smell. I like it because it should be really handy to toss stuff from the garden into the sow. It sounds convenient. I don't know how sensitive you are to smell. If you are around it enough you can get used to it but it can really hit visitors.

She will wallow out a hole, probably where it is wet to start with, but I would not expect her to go down 2-1/2 feet. That is a long way. But that hole will collect water and stay wet for a while so it will be soft. I think I'd be willing to take that risk as long as that naturally damp area is not from a leak in your septic line. It has been a few decades since I was a kid on the farm with pigs but I don't remember the wallow being close to that deep. I assume you are in clay?

In either case I'd want a shelter. She will need to get out of the weather.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is the sow Bred? How tame is she? How old is she? I apologize for all the questions but it affects my answer.
She is 2.5yrs old, and not currently bred.
I'm ok with that for now since I'm a tiny bit hesitant to discover that I don't like pigs After I've got a whole herd here. :confused:
She is supposed to be very tame and used to being handled.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If she is tame, she will act like a dog wth some treat training. Being they are social animals, she will follow Eva or yourself. Start with pen in corner like you want and put her in her stall at nights. Pigs are real smart-part of the problem as they have all day to figure out ways to be a pain.

Before breeding her, have homes (lockers) lined up to take pigs. THEY will be the problem.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that with just the one to move, my little S10 pickup could do the job instead of trying to enlist neighbors...
Adding "build a pig-sized car seat" to the list of things to do .....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If she is tame, she will act like a dog wth some treat training. Being they are social animals, she will follow Eva or yourself. Start with pen in corner like you want and put her in her stall at nights. Pigs are real smart-part of the problem as they have all day to figure out ways to be a pain.

Before breeding her, have homes (lockers) lined up to take pigs. THEY will be the problem.
My hopes for any babies is that folks will be as eager for pork as they were for beef.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't put her pen over the sewer line. That is one "what if" that you might not want to tackle. I also would not use the parameter fence as part of her pen. Then if she gets out, she is not OUT. My Pig Palace is in a corner of the outside fence, Pasture #1 fence and the garden fence. Over my DH's objections, I insisted on a whole new fence no less than 5' from any of the other fences.

For your shelter, you could build a Hawg Hut
https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep.18321/

Or you could build a hoop coop. Just don't tarp the roof, they tear and the pigs will rip them. The hoop coop might be better, make it on skids and you can move it if needed. Then you could build a mini-fence in case you needed to lock them up. If you have a boar, you will need a separate pen, also maybe a weaning pen...….With these short stubby guys you can probably use hog panels and they won't jump over them.

Latest posts