Heads-up @Baymule, I'm studying your pig threads

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
"A Bucolic Bacon Bungalow! A Palatial Porcine Palace! A Swell Sausage Sanctuary (slow day here :oops:) and what a great pictorial on a Hawg Hut how to Bay!"

I lol'd at this from your thread about the hut. That's our Thistle and her humor!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
...ummmm...I think I'll buy what I want to butcher on the day of butchering. I have seen pig raising and it isn't pretty. Some folks cannot stomach what a pig needs, which is a lot of dirt and a mudhole.
I APPLAUD anybody who is brave enough to do so. :clap:clap:clap

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Ridgerunner when youngest DD was in law school and her sister went to live with her during year 3, they kept thinking about the scraps that went to the chickens exCEPT they weren't at home and didn't HAVE any chickens, so the trash can ate it, instead. NOW, I get bags of old bread, stale cereal, sweet pepper tops, old lettuce etc. from them to give to my chickens, since they live 12 minutes up the road and we eat together 4 days/week. The day before they got strawberry tops.
Just gave them 1/4 of the yellow cake that tasted "off" this morning and some more old cereal. Yesterday I cleaned out my potato bin and gave them the volunteers that wanted to sprout.
I keep getting an ad for a vegetable trash compacter that turns it into dirt. As soon as I see it again I will post the thread. It works without worms, but I am not sure how.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't put her pen over the sewer line. That is one "what if" that you might not want to tackle.

Hahaha - you want to take a guess how I know it's 30" down?? Been down that nasty road!

I also would not use the parameter fence as part of her pen. Then if she gets out, she is not OUT.

The spot I'm looking at is inside the pasture - where the inner edge of the pasture meets the yard & chicken coop. She'd be a good ways away from the perimeter fences.

My Pig Palace is in a corner of the outside fence, Pasture #1 fence and the garden fence. Over my DH's objections, I insisted on a whole new fence no less than 5' from any of the other fences.

For your shelter, you could build a Hawg Hut
https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep.18321/

I actually printed out some of this as a guide. But a hoop house would be good too for this season. What would you cover a hoop house in if not plastic/tarp?

Or you could build a hoop coop. Just don't tarp the roof, they tear and the pigs will rip them. The hoop coop might be better, make it on skids and you can move it if needed. Then you could build a mini-fence in case you needed to lock them up. If you have a boar, you will need a separate pen, also maybe a weaning pen...….With these short stubby guys you can probably use hog panels and they won't jump over them.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are pics of a hoop coop I built. I didn't have long enough tin to cover the whole length, mistake, rain wets it down. So make your tin long enough to cover the whole thing, but not an overhang because you WILL walk into it and cut yourself. LOL

Maybe you can see the 1x4 slats in the inside, that is how I secured the tin. It takes 2 people, one on the outside with drill, one on the inside with a slat. I used pretty long tin screws, because of the gap between the cow panel and slat. Then cut off the excess sticking through for safety's sake.

Put a solid back on it and cut tin for that to keep the rain from wetting down the plywood. Leave a tiny overhang at the back to keep the rain out, you could caulk it for further protection.

I am including a link to how I built this hoop coop.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hoop-coop.18291/

And here are the pictures showing the roof. Important note, make the tin go all the way to the ground to keep rain out. To further drain water away, leave enough extra to overlap the 2x4 runner, so as to have the edge of the tin on the OUTside of the 2x4. Clear as mud? LOL

IMG2404.jpg

IMG2405.jpg

IMG2403.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
At the open end of the hoop coop you will need to make some kind of a doorway to stabilize the open end. At our old house, I added a hoop run to the coop and used concrete wire at the open end, then went over it with hardware cloth. My thought for you is to use the concrete wire to close off the non-doorway part of the end.

IMG630.jpg

Put the wire up against the opening and hog ring in place where the wire meets the cow panel. Cut the wire to fit, leaving long wires for wrapping around the end of the cow panel.

IMG627.jpg

IMG628.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The best part about building a hoop shelter for your pigs is that you can do most of it by yourself, only needing help for putting the tin on. The coop I have now is 2 cow panels and too heavy to move without a tractor. Going to move it to a permanent place pretty soon and build another section of cowpanel for a run, then attach it to a new coop. The now front of this coop will be the back of the new coop and run.

So I would place the hoop shelter pretty much where you want it, you are not going to be dragging it all over the place. And you might want to use 4x4 treated posts for the skids.

And the start of another coop, that sadly, has not progressed. We both got sick and spent a month feeling like crap. Then the holidays, then more rain, cold, blah. This one is built on 4x4 runners, is skiddable, but this will be it's permanent place.

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/build-a-chicken-coop.15812/

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does @ninnymary (your adopted) approve of color? Bet she doesn’t of covering that color up. (From link)

Nice, agree with you hubby about window-nice touch.

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you use pvc for the hoops that the cattle panel went on?

Latest posts