Heads-up @Baymule, I'm studying your pig threads

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
METAL!!! DUH :confused: Sometimes I scare myself with how dense and short-sighted I can be.

OK - there's some updates to this mess.
The person who has the 2yr old AGH sow has no way to help load her. When they brought her, they put her in a cage and lifted it into the back of a truck. That was a few years ago and she is now at least 250lbs... My fear of the loading/unloading safety issues is getting worse.

I contacted the folks that I used to get hay from because they had AGH's to get some hands-on opinions and advice. She had LOTS of good points and things I needed to find out...
But then she threw out that she has a PAIR of Kunekune pigs that are less than a year old and if I want them I can have them. She pointed out that I could transport her pigs in a large dog crate.. and she's only 15mins away...

But that would mean TWO pens and shelters...

I've got SUCH a long list of pros and cons for each (single sow, breading pair, all three, none at all) and I'm seriously considering backing out of the whole thing and just getting a couple of piglets to raise up in the spring for meat....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got SUCH a long list of pros and cons for each (single sow, breading pair, all three, none at all) and I'm seriously considering backing out of the whole thing and just getting a couple of piglets to raise up in the spring for meat....

Sounds like a workable plan to gain experience. Didn't someone suggest this earlier?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. But on THAT pro/con list is that I'd STILL have to build a shelter & pen PLUS the buy the piggies at anywhere from $50-$100 each. Where these others are free - to aquire.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. But on THAT pro/con list is that I'd STILL have to build a shelter & pen PLUS the buy the piggies at anywhere from $50-$100 each. Where these others are free - to aquire.
Now you know nothing is “free”. There is always a cost.

If true, like Kunekune as they can survive on grass which you have plenty of. But what would you do with a litter?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another option is to take the free ones, feed for a while (depending on age and size) then butcher them as long as you have not misrepresented your intentions. To me that would be unethical if you have misrepresented yourself. People take free cockerels and butcher them. You can butcher a sow as easily as a male.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Breeding pigs means keeping pigs 365/24/7 and i'm not interested. I love having pigs and I enjoy them. I am just as glad to see them leave as I am to see them come. I like @Ridgerunner's idea. Free pigs, go get them, feed them well and take to slaughter.

As far as loading, look in my threads as to how I go about that. They load themselves. How else am I to load a 820 pound boar?

Kune Kune pigs will roll up a pasture just like any other pig is there is not enough grass to sustain them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well the decision is made for me. Sudden major auto repair takes precedence over building pig pens. :(
Thanks for all the info and opinions.
... maybe in the spring