Home Repairs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you get that roof fixed? The roof is fundamental too keeping your home free from damp.

no, it doesn't leak every time it rains. i'm not bothering to contact him again for a while - i've got enough going on as it is. August i'll send him a note.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great news on my bath.

I got an unexpected call the other day and it was a repairs guy sent from heaven. He took two days patching up my bath and we just couldn't stop talking. On his lunchtime break instead of going off or sitting in his van he choose too spend time chatting and wanted too know everything I had come too learn over the years ( not my spelling and grammar. @flowerbug :tongue, so don't start)

End result my bath us usable and safe from toxic metals. This is an absolute luxury :love
As predicted by wise people the patch work repair hasn't lasted as long as I hoped. Though longer than the so called professional agency because this lasted for just over 8 months.

So again I have no adequate way of showing because of the lead exposure in this bath :(

The white patch on the envelope is what broke off yesterday morning
20221124_140356.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
As predicted by wise people the patch work repair hasn't lasted as long as I hoped. Though longer than the so called professional agency because this lasted for just over 8 months.

So again I have no adequate way of showing because of the lead exposure in this bath :(

The white patch on the envelope is what broke off yesterday morning
View attachment 53619

looks like they need to clean and perhaps roughen up the surface so that patch could stick.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
looks like they need to clean and perhaps roughen up the surface so that patch could stick.
It has been repaired so much the metal is getting weaker, I wouldn't be surprised if a hole doesn't appear the next 3rd or 4th time they come to repair it

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It has been repaired so much the metal is getting weaker, I wouldn't be surprised if a hole doesn't appear the next 3rd or 4th time they come to repair it
There is a caulking mastic product called Dow 995. It comes in white, is stickier than polyurethane if that is possible, is both a structural and impact resistant adhesive we use to make hurricane resistant coatings stay put on glass while storms seek to destroy the walls. It is expensive for a tube which can cost 30 dollars, and it has a wicked short shelf life of maybe 6 months before it gets clumpy inside the tube. However if you can get a leftover, older single tube off ebay (they mostly try to sell cases) it is not to bad because for your spot you can cut open a tube if it wont flow and just putty some on the spot. It would be good to brush it and use something like a naval jelly to try and stop the rust first though.
Screenshot_20230122-225105.png

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is a caulking mastic product called Dow 995. It comes in white, is stickier than polyurethane if that is possible, is both a structural and impact resistant adhesive we use to make hurricane resistant coatings stay put on glass while storms seek to destroy the walls. It is expensive for a tube which can cost 30 dollars, and it has a wicked short shelf life of maybe 6 months before it gets clumpy inside the tube. However if you can get a leftover, older single tube off ebay (they mostly try to sell cases) it is not to bad because for your spot you can cut open a tube if it wont flow and just putty some on the spot. It would be good to brush it and use something like a naval jelly to try and stop the rust first though.View attachment 54689
Thank you so much for coming back and my appoligises for my delay in replying. :)

My landlords finally sent the right man with a good enamel repair instead of the cheap rubbish they have used in the past. I have had no issues since. I gave it a few weeks and I'm pleased to report it's been good ever since. 🙂

I will keep this thread to fall back on if it deteriates again.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you so much for coming back and my appoligises for my delay in replying. :)

My landlords finally sent the right man with a good enamel repair instead of the cheap rubbish they have used in the past. I have had no issues since. I gave it a few weeks and I'm pleased to report it's been good ever since. 🙂

I will keep this thread to fall back on if it deteriates again.
Common plastics like epoxy around hot things can be a problem. Around 200 degrees they fail. They weaken well before boiling though. Hot water over time is a slow cooker. The silicones and so forth found in the kitchen work against this problem and there are high heat resistant sealants that work all around but rarely in the right color. There are high heat enamels in colors. It is quit a trick to find a sticky, tough, heat resistant, appliable "goo" in the right color.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Common plastics like epoxy around hot things can be a problem. Around 200 degrees they fail. They weaken well before boiling though. Hot water over time is a slow cooker.

it really depends upon resins used, some are rated up to 600F. some the family business would install in chemical labs for that reason because not many other flooring options are as resistant to all the various things that can get spilled.

but for sure the common household repair epoxies are not going to be as resistant unless they have that right on the package or mention it in the directions.

The silicones and so forth found in the kitchen work against this problem and there are high heat resistant sealants that work all around but rarely in the right color. There are high heat enamels in colors. It is quit a trick to find a sticky, tough, heat resistant, appliable "goo" in the right color.

water is a tricky substance. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How about this for a mushroom

Black mold in the Bathroom and this. I have never seen anything like it before

I wonder if it's edible 🤔

20230413_102319.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen anything like this on their wall?

Latest posts