How Often Do You Rearrange Your Furniture ?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put that piece of furniture there because I liked it there and/or that's the only place it fits. If I wanted it across the room, I would have put it there to start with.

Same here, Bay and Carol...when you hit that sweet spot with furniture, you leave it. Our place is too small for any different configuration anyway, but even if it weren't, I'd find that sweet spot and leave it. When it feels good, it feels good and no use to change it up.

My DIL changes everything in the house weekly, it seems, never longer than a month goes by without major changes in their house...whole rooms shuffled around, back and forth where this one or that one now sleeps or has their clothes or toys. I think it unsettles the kids, which is why kids love coming to grandma's house, where things rarely ever change...gives them a sense of security, I think.

When my grandma moved out of her old house into a new trailer, it was never the same again. It was a sadness to us all and I'm betting she got less and less visits from the family over the years after that due to it all. Not all changes are for the better.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When do I rearrange the furniture? I'm married so when my wife tells me to. I know better than to rearrange anything on my own. I never make unsolicited suggestions and even when she asks for my opinion I'm extremely careful how I respond. Experience can be a good teacher.

How often does she want me to rearrange the furniture or decorations, like hanging something? When she gets something she wants displayed she will tell me what to do. I'm the one that installs hangers but most of the time it's swapping something out, not changing hangers. She often does that herself.

For the winter she will put up a loom or two in the den since weaving is her hobby. In summer she has a loom room that she uses but that loom room is a bonus room behind the garage, it's expensive to heat. So three or four times a year I may move things around in the den, mainly setting up or taking down a loom, but sometimes some furniture gets shoved around. Other than rearranging the looms and whatever furniture gets shoved around, the only time she wants furniture rearranged is when she gets a new piece. When her father died she got a lot of his furniture, that was a major rearrangement all over the house, but other than events like that, it's really rare.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dislike couches.

It isn't so much the article of furniture as the behavior the presence of a couch encourages. Of course, the lazyboy encourages nearly the same behavior in yours truly ...

As soon as DW came along, she had to have a sofa. Soon, she had to have two. With two davenports in one room, there is hardly room for anything else. The chesterfields take over the divan home furnishings!!!

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We did move some furniture the other day, due to a recent addition. Found this absolutely smashing couch at the Rehab Store for $65, a holdover from the 60s I would say....lovely in all ways(no smells, sturdy and soft fabric, embroidery on the skirting), sturdy as all get out...the cushions are actually chained on to the couch. I kid you not. Got that for extra seating and sleeping when the hunters all come out and stay the night.

So, we moved the coffin to the other side of the room and placed the new couch in its former place, took out a rocking chair that no one uses and donated that back to Good Will. But, all the other furniture remains in place.

Will remove a hall table soon, as Mom wants to give that to her eldest son~it was a table my Dad built in high school shop class (70 yrs ago, mind you) and Mom had refurbished some years back. We don't use it for anything, so it needs to find a home in the family where it will be used and appreciated.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When do I rearrange the furniture? I'm married so when my wife tells me to. I know better than to rearrange anything on my own. I never make unsolicited suggestions and even when she asks for my opinion I'm extremely careful how I respond. Experience can be a good teacher.

How often does she want me to rearrange the furniture or decorations, like hanging something? When she gets something she wants displayed she will tell me what to do. I'm the one that installs hangers but most of the time it's swapping something out, not changing hangers. She often does that herself.

For the winter she will put up a loom or two in the den since weaving is her hobby. In summer she has a loom room that she uses but that loom room is a bonus room behind the garage, it's expensive to heat. So three or four times a year I may move things around in the den, mainly setting up or taking down a loom, but sometimes some furniture gets shoved around. Other than rearranging the looms and whatever furniture gets shoved around, the only time she wants furniture rearranged is when she gets a new piece. When her father died she got a lot of his furniture, that was a major rearrangement all over the house, but other than events like that, it's really rare.
Ridge, I think I remember you posting some pics of your DW's work years ago. I am intrigued by the idea of weaving, but apparently I am too uninspired to do anything about it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same here, Bay and Carol...when you hit that sweet spot with furniture, you leave it. Our place is too small for any different configuration anyway, but even if it weren't, I'd find that sweet spot and leave it. When it feels good, it feels good and no use to change it up.

My DIL changes everything in the house weekly, it seems, never longer than a month goes by without major changes in their house...whole rooms shuffled around, back and forth where this one or that one now sleeps or has their clothes or toys. I think it unsettles the kids, which is why kids love coming to grandma's house, where things rarely ever change...gives them a sense of security, I think.

When my grandma moved out of her old house into a new trailer, it was never the same again. It was a sadness to us all and I'm betting she got less and less visits from the family over the years after that due to it all. Not all changes are for the better.
Bee my EX DIL was like that. Son commented he always had to be awake and turn on lights before entering a room for fear he'd break his neck (or at least a toe) I know she rearranged weekly. Drove her nuts that mine was ALWAYS the same. :plbb

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we had to do some rearranging when Ma died and I brought the cedar chest table and chairs here
living room to bring a chair in James... I have the master bedroom I do have room in there to move things around
and I know where I place them have very limited tunnel vision in one eye I do not encourage allot of change otherwise I walk into or trip over things

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
In this old house everything has only 1 place where it fits so it never changes.

Now my daughter, the stylist, moves stuff weekly. She also paints yearly. I've been trying to get my husband to paint the front rooms but he said it just got done. Not really, it was about 4 years ago. They are gray and now I want them white. :rolleyes:

Mary

Latest posts