How you keeping yourself busy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been 7 days since I ran these errands. I met no one on my walk of about a block to and from the hospital. Inside, there was the lady that I often see who smiled and nodded when I said that I was on my way to the pharmacy. Four hospital employees were behind her. Down the hall were 2 more, and they gave me a pass sticker after checking my temperature and asking about my health. No one was waiting in the pharmacy. What a contrast to the jammed up crowd last week! I think people have the message that visitors are discouraged.

The supermarket is near the college district. I chose that both times because I was fairly confident that there would be no students so few customers.

While shopping, I walked down the TP aisle. Good thing we still don't need any. I bought some wheat flour last time, limited selection. This time, I took 1 of 2 cornflour boxes. Some canned food was in short supply. It really looked like most stuff was out there, for sale.

I walked right up to checkout, both times. Would have used self-service but had too much produce. I told the clerk that I appreciate her being there for us. She complimented me on my silly reading glasses.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
after working at the library as long as i did it made me really appreciate anyone who does a public facing job in any business. there were a few people who could always make life difficult and then once in a while you'd get someone who was so appreciative that they made up for all the grumpusses... anytime i'd get someone in who loved books and to read i could go all day on that happiness. :)

so, erm, hang in there! some of us appreciate you even if you don't notice it. :) :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been 7 days since I ran these errands. I met no one on my walk of about a block to and from the hospital. Inside, there was the lady that I often see who smiled and nodded when I said that I was on my way to the pharmacy. Four hospital employees were behind her. Down the hall were 2 more, and they gave me a pass sticker after checking my temperature and asking about my health. No one was waiting in the pharmacy. What a contrast to the jammed up crowd last week! I think people have the message that visitors are discouraged.

The supermarket is near the college district. I chose that both times because I was fairly confident that there would be no students so few customers.

While shopping, I walked down the TP aisle. Good thing we still don't need any. I bought some wheat flour last time, limited selection. This time, I took 1 of 2 cornflour boxes. Some canned food was in short supply. It really looked like most stuff was out there, for sale.

I walked right up to checkout, both times. Would have used self-service but had too much produce. I told the clerk that I appreciate her being there for us. She complimented me on my silly reading glasses.

Steve

for some reason i keep thinking you are "Out of town" and not in or near a city. within walking distance of a hospital must be an interesting neighborhood right about now i'm not sure i'd want to be that close... be safe!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I'm talking about parking and then walking about a block. I do not like the parking garages, besides the clearance isn't enuf for the pickup with canopy.

You probably think of me being in the country because of the gardens. Most of my growing is on other people's property.

I started doing that years ago when I went to the bother of going to the courthouse to find out who owned a vacant lot across the alley from where I was living then. Out my back gate and there I was! I still do that (except I had to cut a hole in the neighbor's fence and I'm in his backyard, Ha!

I could say that I really started this when I moved out of the country and even carried away some of my fruit trees to plant in Dad's backyard. People often have more space (even acres!) than they want to take care of. Around here, they have community water systems and pay for irrigation water on the basis of usage and/or acreage as minimum charge. So, having someone there to "keep down the weeds" may cost nothing. Shoot. The property owners at the big veggie garden can't even see that garden space without coming out of their house onto their lawn or driveway.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here the stores are getting back to normal, all things pretty much available, even TP...the meat cases look a little bare, but we don't eat store bought meats much anyway, so it doesn't affect us. Gas prices are at all all time low of $1.79, which is nice....all containers have been filled so we have plenty of gas for spring and summer chores.

My life hasn't changed much at all, as we don't participate in a life that most folks call normal...don't have TV or any kind of news feed, immediate family still visits and we do what we've always done, extended family never did visit much anyway. Mom misses her dance classes and lunch groups, but I never had any such animal, so my life hasn't changed a bit. Good Will is closed, so there was a small blip of change.... :D The biggest change is that we can't visit Dad in the nursing home, which is a bitter pill to swallow, but I have faith that God is in control and has Dad in His hands, so I needn't worry.

Working hard each day, God has supplied our needs in abundance as usual, so nothing much is different here. It's a beautiful day outside....need to get out there and sharpen the chainsaw, going to be a GREAT work day! :weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just spent $350.00 on my 12yo dog, Pyg, as a pre surgery checkup. She has had a slow growing soft tissue cancer growing out of the bottom of her right paw. 3 vets all recommended amputation, which will be scheduled for late this month. I have wrestled with it, but realize that it's either the surgery now, or euthanisia later this year. She has been too wonderful a dog for this. She hates other dogs, but she trained in my almost 2yo GS, Eva, and has accepted her as a playmate. Eva defers to her as Alpha, and that helps.
I have been staying quaranteed bc of 71yo DH, but the jingle jangle of loan signing jobs happened. 3 signings scheduled between Friday and Wednesday and that will reimburse what I spent yesterday. DH said, since I am driving 25 minutes east for tomorrow's signing, that we should go shooting again. I agreed. I saw a farmer unloading corn from his silo last Monday. The range is surrounded by two farms and we cannot shoot while they are in the field. I am betting they will be in the next 2 weeks.
IL is shut down, including Our courthouse (but not in some surrounding smaller counties, for some reason), so DH has no court until May.
I will take pictures of both of them on their own thread before she becomes a tripod. :hit:hit:hit

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just spent $350.00 on my 12yo dog, Pyg, as a pre surgery checkup. She has had a slow growing soft tissue cancer growing out of the bottom of her right paw. 3 vets all recommended amputation, which will be scheduled for late this month. I have wrestled with it, but realize that it's either the surgery now, or euthanisia later this year. She has been too wonderful a dog for this. She hates other dogs, but she trained in my almost 2yo GS, Eva, and has accepted her as a playmate. Eva defers to her as Alpha, and that helps.
I have been staying quaranteed bc of 71yo DH, but the jingle jangle of loan signing jobs happened. 3 signings scheduled between Friday and Wednesday and that will reimburse what I spent yesterday. DH said, since I am driving 25 minutes east for tomorrow's signing, that we should go shooting again. I agreed. I saw a farmer unloading corn from his silo last Monday. The range is surrounded by two farms and we cannot shoot while they are in the field. I am betting they will be in the next 2 weeks.
IL is shut down, including Our courthouse (but not in some surrounding smaller counties, for some reason), so DH has no court until May.
I will take pictures of both of them on their own thread before she becomes a tripod. :hit:hit:hit

They are taking off her lower jaw???? :thHow will she eat, keep her mouth from drying out or anything that a dog normally does?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD, ASA, said another ASA, whose children are home, BOTH boys, has let them set their own schedule. SO, the boys are staying up until the middle of the night, and sleeping until noon. Her work associate says she gets her Own time without them/with them (asleep). Her work associate says that, like Charlotte Lucas, ("Pride and Prejudice,", Jane Austin):
"Charlotte Lucas : Yes. So you see, it often happens that a whole day passes in which we have not spent more than a few minutes in each other's company. I find that I can bear the solitude very cheerfully. "