Hummers 2019

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, they aren't safe in the gardens I've planted them in either. I can't grow these at home, they are only marginally hardy and after a hard winter they don't come back.

My husband was hand watering a big lawn patch we put in and two female hummers came to play in the spray. I was standing next to him and these two little girls no more than inches from us. Very special :).

it took a few times for us planting them to get them established, but now they come back each year and we've certainly had some very hard winters.

hummers are pretty incredible to me too. for how far they fly, for how tiny they are and for being such characters... i've never disturbed a nest to see if i could see the eggs but at times i do find the old nests around.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't seem to have as many hummers this year. I wonder if the big oak tree that blew down was a favorite nesting spot in years past. It sure held a lot of other kinds of nests. :(

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hummingbirds are still swarming us here in central AL. Ruby-throats all over the place! They're going through food fast, and we are washing the feeders weekly as it's so hot here that the nectar will turn bad pretty fast too. How are everyones birds doing?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are finally seeing more than on at a time. Beginning to get feisty with each other. In hot weather I change nectar every 2 or 3 days. All Ruby throats here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hummingbirds are still swarming us here in central AL. Ruby-throats all over the place! They're going through food fast, and we are washing the feeders weekly as it's so hot here that the nectar will turn bad pretty fast too. How are everyones birds doing?

i hear them once in a while, but not often. after the deer ate the crocosmia flowers we lost their main hovering spot that was easiest for us to see them.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ours have gone south. :( There may be a few stragglers so we keep up with the nectar changing every few days just in case. We have seen one or two as late as September.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have slowed some here. Was going thru half gallon a day now it is every other day.
:epWe only get sippers here then. No way to go through that kind of nectar! But only have a few birds. Must be crazy fun to have a LOT of them around <3

Latest posts