Hummers 2019

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are not seeing many here now... I wonder if they know something about the upcoming winter; I hear it's expected to be a doozie.

That's what everyone is saying... I recall hearing that last year too.
We spotted two hummers today at the feeders, don't know if they are the homies or a few traveling south. The feeders will stay fresh and out until the middle of September just in case.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what everyone is saying... I recall hearing that last year too.
We spotted two hummers today at the feeders, don't know if they are the homies or a few traveling south. The feeders will stay fresh and out until the middle of September just in case.

i'm imagining a huge chain of people from north to south like the reverse of the underground railroad of before, where the hummers can stop and fuel up along the way as they go south. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some hummers I finally caught on camera! They move so darn fast and spent so much more time driving each other off I had a hard time getting any pics. Here are some really LUCKY photos I did catch!
DSC04942.JPG

DSC04950.JPG

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
1300 hamburgers
All this work, of course, uses an enormous amount of energy. An article in The Vancouver Sun (May 3, 1991) noted that, “To keep up their blistering lifestyle, hummingbirds, of both sexes, burn up huge amounts of calories—the equivalent [for humans] of 1,300 hamburgers a day, washed down with 60 litres of water, used mainly for cooling purposes.”

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not sure how they're doing up North, but down here we are getting swarmed as it seems they've visiting back through the South. Hopefully everyone is still getting a few visitors though!

Love seeing the photos folks
:love

Latest posts