hurricane florence....

I was coming home from work yesterday evening, 30 minute commute on Hwy 74, runs east to west through North Carolina. I can tell you one thing, the guys that moor their boats on the coast are taking it serious, I bet I passed 200 boats being trailered west away from the coast by contractors moving BIG boats inland, and that many trucks pulling trailers loaded with plywood and such by home owners headed east towards the coast, my guess is boarding up their vacation homes for the storm. You always hope for the best, but plan for the worst, I'm glad to see everyone being proactive, once it gets much closer, it will be to late.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
, and that many trucks pulling trailers loaded with plywood and such by home owners headed east towards the coast, my guess is boarding up their vacation homes for the storm. .

I've never lived where we needed to board up for storms so I've always wondered - WHY do they have to buy new truck loads of plywood for every storm? You hear of stores selling out every single time. What do they DO with it after the storm?? Wouldn't it be worthwhile to stack it somewhere (once it dries out) for the next storm????

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters does your place of work have a generator? The garbage company I worked for in Livingston had an 1947 locomotive engine directly connected to the 8,000 gallon diesel tank kept full for the garbage trucks. We closed on a Friday afternoon, hurricane Ike came in that night and we were all back at work on Monday morning. It was crazy, but the garbage must be picked up!

I think the majority of the home and business owners probably do keep it on hand, I know I would, that stuff can get expensive.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never lived where we needed to board up for storms so I've always wondered - WHY do they have to buy new truck loads of plywood for every storm? You hear of stores selling out every single time. What do they DO with it after the storm?? Wouldn't it be worthwhile to stack it somewhere (once it dries out) for the next storm????

That's what I did when I lived down here before, marked each piece of plywood so I knew which window it was for and stacked them in the workshop. There are two issues I can think of off the bat. Does everyone have adequate storage, either businesses or homeowners? You don't board up every year, sometimes you can go a lot of years without a threat.

As many people as there are moving and businesses opening and going out of business, there are a tremendous number of people going through this the first time at that location.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters does your place of work have a generator? The garbage company I worked for in Livingston had an 1947 locomotive engine directly connected to the 8,000 gallon diesel tank kept full for the garbage trucks. We closed on a Friday afternoon, hurricane Ike came in that night and we were all back at work on Monday morning. It was crazy, but the garbage must be picked up!

I use a huge light tower/generator at the scale and there is another at the shop. Otherwise, it's all outside so requires LOTS of diesel to keep equipment moving, but no electricity. Last time we lost power for several days I brought everything rechargeable to work every day to charge up. The boss will let us take home the big 5-gallon bottles for the water coolers if needed and there is an ice machine in the shop too.
They've called a day off for some of the snow storms - but usually for things like this, we're expected to arrive as soon we can and get to work.
There will be A LOT of traffic next week as folks start to clean up..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
re: plywood, i'm sure some of it is for new homes that have been built since the last time... too bad there's not a retractable dome you could put over the house.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
as of yesterday there is not a case of bottled water in nc,sc,va to be sold..dw went to our little store to do a quick shopping when the crew left for lunch.. she said people were standing around outside when their truck pulled up...everyone rushed in...it was 10 pallets of water....limit 4 cases pp....dw said it was selling like hot cakes..... which is understandable 90% of the area has a well the other 10% is on city water is if you live in the city limits... so no power no water unless you have a generator. no gennie here....grrrrr

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not been able to get to this site in the last few days, but was very worried about those of you in the way of Florence. Voila! I was just able to get in without timing out too many times!

Stay safe! I'm thinkin' of you. If I can't get in again, I'll FB Alex and Baymule to see how everyone fared...

Latest posts