hurricane florence....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd like to know about @moxies_chickienuggets .

Do we know where she is in South Carolina?

She was last on TEG advising @Nyboy on the pro's and con's of a move. I hope Moxie has considered her pro's and con's of staying in her home ... or, a vacation somewhere ELSE.

Ya know, it looks to me that some of these places like in Pennsylvania where they have had such an inordinate amount of rain - they could be in trouble if this storm brings them more.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK... another 'hurricane prep' question...

WHY do people BUY water before the storm.. when the water IN THEIR HOUSES is still running just fine????
Why not store the FREE water????
It's been downgraded around here again and may be just a whole lot of rain - but my plan was (maybe still is?) to fill several 1gallon zip top bag and stand them up in a cooler. BAM! 15-20 gallons of drinking water. Portable. Stackable. Total cost $3.00.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd like to know about @moxies_chickienuggets .

Do we know where she is in South Carolina?

She was last on TEG advising @Nyboy on the pro's and con's of a move. I hope Moxie has considered her pro's and con's of staying in her home ... or, a vacation somewhere ELSE.

Ya know, it looks to me that some of these places like in Pennsylvania where they have had such an inordinate amount of rain - they could be in trouble if this storm brings them more.

Steve

they've updated the track to go into GA so perhaps that will help... still i hope everyone is ready and will be ok or getting away while they can.

WHY do people BUY water before the storm.. when the water IN THEIR HOUSES is still running just fine????
It's been downgraded around here again and may be just a whole lot of rain - but my plan was (maybe still is?) to fill several 1gallon zip top bag and stand them up in a cooler. BAM! 15-20 gallons of drinking water. Portable. Stackable. Total cost $3.00.

I thought about that yesterday, we always keep several cases of bottled water at the house, our municipal water source is not the best tasting In the state, but it flush's a toilet just fine Lol. I told my wife if the power goes out for any length of time, I'm hooking a drop cord to the fridge and deep freezer, and we moving out into the camper, its got a 40 gallon water tank, Lp gas shower, all the comforts of home....right out in the driveway Lol.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cane, I don't think most people even think about it. They just rush out and buy the bottled water. It's customary to fill bathtubs, coolers, and large pots and pans with water to flush the toilet and use paper plates and plastic utensils to avoid having to wash dishes but using a method like that to store drinking water isn't much talked about. Not sure why. Some people won't drink tap water but most of them have a filter so your method of storing drinking water would still work. It's a good idea.

Yeah it looks like it is turning just a bit south so that might decrease wind speeds for you but it is also projected to slow down a lot as it gets to the coast. That means it is going to dump a lot of rainwater, hopefully not as bad as Harvey did in Texas but still bad. The northeast quadrant of these things is the windiest and the wettest. Don't relax too much, think how really heavy rain could affect you. Not just flooding but washing out roads, bridges, and such. You may be stranded for a while.

This is one of those things you don't wish on anyone else but you really don't want it to hit anywhere close to where you are. I feel the same way here. This thing as going to be a catastrophe wherever it hits, unbelievable property damage and people will die. A lot of suffering. All you can do is prepare as best you can and get through it. Be wise.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, I DEFINATELY am not taking it lightly. This storm is still a beast and it's going to be devastating, wherever it finally decides to hit.
There's a disaster relief organization near me called God's Pit Crew that I support. They're already gearing up with tractor trailer loads of supplies to be delivered and volunteers to help clean up.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's one of the lessons they apparently learned after Katrina, stage materials, equipment and people where they are ready to react when they can.

The Cajun Navy is on the move. That's a loosely organized group of volunteers that take boats to floods and major storms to help rescue people stranded by water. Purely volunteers that accept donations but pay a lot out of their own pocket. From what I heard 50 boats from Texas, 300 from Louisiana, and 200 from the northeast are headed into position, all with their own crews, usually one person. You don't have to be Cajun to join but that's where it started hence the name. It's basically fishermen that have small shallow draft boats that work well. They are credited with rescuing thousands of people. A lot of times with their shallow draft boats they can go places local search and rescue cannot, not even considering the volume of people needing help.

They are organized to the extent that they keep track of areas that have been searched so they don't waste resources where they are not needed. They have a facebook page where people send in requests for help and they use another system to dispatch a boat to that area. Like God's Pit Crew, just a group of neighbors helping neighbors even if they are a few states away. You wonder how many groups there are like this.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing Sandy taught me You can never have enough gas stored. When Sandy took out the power at first no big deal everyone has a generator. By day 3 the gas stations where out of gas, roads where closed so no gas deliveries. People where fighting and shooting each other for gas

Latest posts