hurricane florence....

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MC- y'all got tons more of that system than we did down here. I told DH that it was unlikely we would get much. Hurricanes will start disintegrating once they hit a landmass. They then no longer have that 80F+ water temp to feed off of. We just got slightly windy and soggy.

Wow, boy that was a Hoot! man we started felling Flo's precense late Thursday night, wind gust 25+. By friday you could definatley tell it was coming, power went off friday around noon, I fired up the generator and get settled in for a long weekend, Lo and behold it came back on around 8:00 that same night. Wind got up pretty stiff around the house, several times I know we hit 50 +. I've got 14 full grown Pecan trees in the yard and you can imagine the limbs I've got to pick up. I have neighbors with big pines laying on the homes and I can hear generators running down the road from me, so I know we were lucky.
I think the most damage around here is going to be from water. Total rain fall so far 14.50" and 4" of that came last night, at one point water was running off the roof in sheets.
If you have a lineman in your family or know a lineman, give them a big Hug for me. My son and I rode around some yesterday looking at the damage, and every other street had a lineman working in
a bucket, soaking wet, rain pouring down on them, and they are still going at it, hats off to them and anybody else that working out in the weather to keep us safe and keep the lights and water on. I went to work yesterday to check the plant and make sure the pumps were running, and the plant wasnt flooded out, we were good. On the way west there was a steady line of work trucks, bucket trucks loaded with heavy equipment headed east, i feel sorry for the people further east of us, some of the storys Im hearing from places like New Bern and Wilmington are heart breaking.
My son is leaving for Wilmington today, they say that the only way in is by helicopter or boat, He normaly works on the big transmission lines, but will probably be helping with distribution or residential power lines. Yall keep him and his crew in your prayers.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Electric utilities all over the country have sent teams to the area, even before it struck so they will be ready to help as soon as they can. Long hours of dangerous work in unpleasant conditions. Thistle I would not be surprised if crews from your area area are over there. A neighbor in Arkansas was a lineman, he was often on one of those crews, probably voluntary. He got to see a lot of the country.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My aunt, and my mother who is there visiting her, has received 9" of rain as of last nite in Greensboro. I simply cannot imagine 14" or 9" of rain. In a good wet year, San Jose CA gets a max of 14".

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Electric utilities all over the country have sent teams to the area, even before it struck so they will be ready to help as soon as they can. Long hours of dangerous work in unpleasant conditions. Thistle I would not be surprised if crews from your area area are over there. A neighbor in Arkansas was a lineman, he was often on one of those crews, probably voluntary. He got to see a lot of the country.

i know there were workers from MI heading that ways too. safe journeys and safe work everyone!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dallas and Houston have sent convoys to that area. I know when hurricane Ike came to the little town we used to live in, there were linemen from all over the country there, working all over the area to put it all back together.

Latest posts