I want a pair of goats

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Collector, I first READ the story about roping a deer on BYC some 12 years ago. It is actually funnier in print.
@Messybun we need to message. I want to hear ALL of your pygmy goat advice.
When we were Civil War Reenactors we trained horses to a picket pin. They were scared of it, fought it, rubbed pasterns, etc., but after they learned it we never had any trouble.
We were able to picket 3 horses at a major natl. CW event where the space was no larger than a bedroom, no problem.
ALL animals can learn by repetition.
It is good to be reminded that picketing is a foreign notion to any livestock.
Btw, some people thought picketing was cruel. They hobbled their horses.
At one small reenactment I sat with my coffee and watched 2 hobbled horses move about 1/8 of mile with their hobbles on.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is actually funnier in print.
I agree the printed story reads much more humorous than the read version.
Every time someone says to me what could possibly go wrong I think of this. Because the answer is a whole lot can go wrong lol. Although with goats I think the learning curve would be rather fast.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm , interesting what you said about the dwarf Nigerians. These will become pets, so I want PEOPLE friendly. Since people have trained goats to pull carts, I think I will have my training hands full. Butter Bean sounds like our cats, "Lynx", "Mynx" and "Smudgkins" (aka "Snookums,") who we raised 3 years ago from 3 wk old kittens. Their mother vanished. This was her 4th litter, we couldn't catch her to spay her, but she was a VERY good mother. I saw her kill from time to time, so she must have been eaten during a night. Snookums was found on the catwalk to the manger, a good 12-14" drop from the loft where they had been living. She was looking for milk.
They are the most affectionate cats we have, and you can carry them around like rag dolls.
Hard to get in any other fashion besides bottle raising.
My horse trainer friend, who bought her mare in utero, had to bottle raise her at 22 days old on. No other relationship quite like that.
@digitS' , excuse the shouting, but,
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE TO OWN ANYTHING THAT I HAVE TO MILK!!!
That being said, I welcome any other suggestions.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Ducks, you sound like my mother :D.

It seemed that we always had 3 milk cows. Dad gave up on his dairy idea pretty quickly but believed in milk for calves he would pick up from his friend the dairy farmer. Mom said that she was told by her mother never to learn to milk a cow.

She stood by that even when Dad and bro went off on a hunting trip and I was only 8 years old. Whatever was Dad thinking :confused: ? Mom wasn't about to do more than carrying buckets for me. I still remember really being thankful for that help.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of Lynx~
1615492390476.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE TO OWN ANYTHING THAT I HAVE TO MILK!!!
That being said, I welcome any other suggestions.

worms are great, i don't have to milk them and i don't have to shovel their poo too often and even when i do have to do it it smells like dirt.

granted they're not very easy to pet, they have very little fur and you really don't need to give them names.

i empty their buckets about once a year (in the gardens and restart them). feed every few weeks. check the moisture level and top up the shredded paper.

Latest posts