Is it spring yet?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hu After this last deep freeze....I am so ready to do some gardening. We've been having lots of rain here, as well as the polar vortex stuff. I want some sunshine!!..and some green things!! :weee

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to get some potting mix to start some pepper seeds early. Well, the hardware store doesn't have a single spring thing in yet. She said it would probably be a couple months before they get potting soil in! A couple months?!? what is wrong with those people?
I do have a little bit of potting mix left, so I can start a few seeds anyway, but ---just seeing the stores get in spring stuff gives me a lift. Guess I'll have to go to the big box stores to get my fix. :barnie

This would be a good time to go to the orchid show at Shaw's Garden... I mean St Louis Botanical Gardens. :drool

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahhh...yes.....starting seeds. Hmmmm.....
I haven't even gotten to clean out my potting shed...the weather has been wet and rainy since fall. But I suppose I could make up some flats, filled with potting soil.....mebbe.
We are having another cold, wet, rainy day here in balmy SC. Pffft.
My chickens all grew webbed feet and floated away in yesterdays flooding :th**quack...quack...quack*

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could send you some sunshine, it's not doing much good here anyway. I just walked to the mailbox in a bright sunny 5°! Although we are suppose to get a heatwave up to 30 in a couple days.:woot

@so lucky , I here you on the clueless stores. I chewed out Fleet Farm a few years ago, racks and racks of seeds and the only soil they had to start them in was Miracle Grow with fertilizer...if you want to call yourself a gardening center, get with the program! I'm glad I found a nursery to get my soil from.

I got to visit the St. Louis Botanical Gardens three years ago, it's beautiful! I was just thinking about escaping to the Como Conservatory, ... plopping down in the sunken garden and not leaving til they kick me out. :D

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I did have to bring in a few plants from the unheated potting shed. The green pepper plant, and the 2 christmas cactus. The pepper plant is busy dropping its leaves. Say's .."there is not enough sunshine inside to feed me!!" :hit
The 2 plants I left out there.....frozen.

Our local walmart won't be getting any garden stuff till February.

Well, I do have some new fabric pieces I found at the thrift store to sew up. One light blue gingham (summer!! :weee)....and 2 pretty florals.

Now...what to make :idunno

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow. Very cold weather @Lavender2 ! Right now its at a beautiful 54 degrees, and our coldest temp where I live was 27 degrees so far. We have TOO much sunshine. But that's good for all the crops growing right now.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished ordering all my seeds last weekend mainly the same with about 10 new varieties, dw said "you spent how much":eek:
looks like it's time to clean all the pots and trays pick up potting soil clean up the germination area <aka the junk room> now knowing darn well having a couple months before even thinking about showing a seed to soil it give me time to procrastinate a few weekends.
plus will need to either re skin or re build the redneck greenhouse between mother nature and the girls it has taken a beaten..

heres to a bountiful harvest for everyone this season...:thumbsup

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender2,I thought the pics of Como Gardens were beautiful. Couldn't figure out where it was, till I came back and checked your location. Must be in Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Latest posts