Reaction score
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
Countertops were installed Monday and look great. I have been installing plumbing fixtures , knobs and pulls, and dishwasher. The plumbing was a usual three trips to town for parts lol. We still haven't decided on the lighting,it always seems to be the hardest decision for us. Been staining trim and putting it up as soon as it is dry. I'm using a three step process to stain the trim, and without heating the garage it is pretty slow going. Here are some pics of progress so far.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
You or the Mrs have very good taste. Love the high ceiling and all the wood. Wood gives a warm feeling that painted cabinets just don't have. Is that a stone fire place next to fridge ? Good luck with picking out lighting. There is just to many choices.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 24039 View attachment 24040 View attachment 24041 View attachment 24042 View attachment 24043 View attachment 24044 View attachment 24045 Countertops were installed Monday and look great. I have been installing plumbing fixtures , knobs and pulls, and dishwasher. The plumbing was a usual three trips to town for parts lol. We still haven't decided on the lighting,it always seems to be the hardest decision for us. Been staining trim and putting it up as soon as it is dry. I'm using a three step process to stain the trim, and without heating the garage it is pretty slow going. Here are some pics of progress so far.
Beautiful.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything is just gorgeous Collector! What a wonderful space you've created. I like your custom built peninsula!
What kind of wood is your trim?

It has turned out better than I hoping for for sure. The trim boards are just pine 1x4" right off the unit at lowes. I started using the same staining method at our last house and I think improved it here. I just lightly sand it with 50 grit and vibratory sander, not enough to take out imperfections in the wood just to smooth it out a little. The staining process is three steps.
Step 1- one coat of homemade stain using white vinegar/ 000steel wool/ and spent coffee grounds. The stuff in 1/2 gallon mason jar.
Step 2- one coat of minwax golden pecan stain .
Step 3- one coat minwax polyurethane clear satin finish.
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG

I like the way it turns out with this method, it looks like old reclaimed and restrained wood. You can see how some of the knots and wood grain look almost black. We get more family and friends complimenting the trim than anything else seems like. They also think I'm kidding about the finishing methods.
image.jpg

The darker lines going from edge to edge are sawmill imperfections, comes from the velocity of the wood going through the planer ( like it is wiggling as it goes through). Not all boards have it but many do plus other imperfections that look nice.

Latest posts