Left-over Turkey - what's cookin'?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
tonight again a wonderful leftover dish from thanksgiving......
green chili with smoked turkey enchilada's and mexican rice

had to fight off everyone for these last 3..... yes i did share.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a couple turkey enchilada recipes online, but wasn't sure about it. Major, that looks so good! Must be all that melted cheese...can't say no to that.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is what I do with extra cream cheese:

New York Cheesecake

Ingredients:
6 Honey Grahams, finely crushed (about 1 cup)
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
5 pkg. (8 oz. Each) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup Sour Cream
4 eggs
Strawberry glazepint or so of crushed strawberries, about cup sugar and a Tbsp or so of corn starch. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is nearly clearabout 5-10 minutes.

Directions
Heat oven to 325F.

1. Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Mix graham crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and butter; press onto bottom of pan, but not up the sides. Bake 10 min

2. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, flour and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended. Pour over crust.

3. Bake about 40 min. or until center is almost set. Cool completely. Refrigerate 4 hours. Use foil handles to lift cheesecake from pan before cutting to serve. Top with strawberry glaze.

I heat a piece in the microwave for about 20 seconds to knock the chill off and top it with whipped cream.

I love carrot cake too, but have never made it. Anyone care to share a good recipe?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Major' is always cooking!

MontyJ is always reciprizing!

There's no way for me to catch up! Somebody had better give him a carrot cake recipe. Mine won't cut the mustard . . . koff! gag!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I love carrot cake too, but have never made it. Anyone care to share a good recipe?
Well I love cheesecake but have never made one! Always thought I needed a springform pan. I'll try your recipe Monty.

I've made lots and lots of carrot cakes in the past 35+ years, but I just found this recipe online and it's the simplest and best yet.
I use more than the specified amount of grated carrot, because I always seem to grate too much and what are you supposed to do with left over grated carrot? So I just add it. I leave the raisins out also. It's seems to be a very flexible forgiving recipe. I've been making it at least once a week for the past month.

I got this from the CHOW website.

Carrot Cake: 2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups oil
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts) optional
1 cup raisins (optional

Cream Cheese Frosting: 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare two 9 pans or one 12 cake pan or one 9x 13 sheet pan by lining with parchment or wax paper.
Mix together in a bowl together flour,baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
In a bigger bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla for about minute or so.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix for about 2 minutes more.
Add the grated carrots. Then add nuts and raisins if desired.
Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 45 to 50 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer, it should be dry when taken out. Cool then fill and frost with cream cheese frosting. Garnish with more nuts.
To make the cream cheese frosting: a bowl beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add in icing sugar and beat for a minute. Add vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another minute.

I also don't use the parchment paper, butter or PAM work just fine.
I think the frosting recipe is too buttery so next time I'll only use half the butter and add some lemon juice and zest.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saved a copy of that recipe, Thistle. Perhaps I shall have to make my first carrot cake very soon. :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no my left sweet tooth is starting twitch for some carrot cake and the right is twiching
For some cheese cake, hum sounds like a good way to use some frozen
Blackberries or some carrots that are still in the garden this Saturday.

Latest posts