Left-over Turkey - what's cookin'?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I saw a couple turkey enchilada recipes online, but wasn't sure about it. Major, that looks so good! Must be all that melted cheese...can't say no to that.
Will have to find the recipe tomorrow and post

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, please do. It looks and sounds really good!
On kinda the same subject, does anyone make their own tortillas? I find the big soft ones are so gooey/pastey that they clog up your chewing and get slimy. (sorry for the mental picture) What do you do to get a good tortilla, particularly for enchiladas, where it is covered in sauce? For soft shelled tacos, I toast them lightly in the skillet, but that is not practical for enchiladas. Any particular brand?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to make our own taco shells from pure cheese, the recipe was thrown away a long time ago though. For softsheels we buy the "La Tortilla Factory" brand, they're made from teff flour.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not gonna be able to help you on making tortillas, So Lucky. Mom wouldn't have made them on a bet but Dad was from New Mexico/Oklahoma.

His family had real simple enchiladas. If you do a search of "stacked enchiladas" you will see some of the ideas.

Here is one of those simple recipes: Stacked Cheese Enchiladas We ate 'em often. Corn tortillas. Gotta have the egg. Oh! And, sweet onions, diced.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Mexican neighbor taught me how to make flour tortillas a looooong time ago. I dredged the back of my mind in the aftermath of hurricane Rita and came up with an edible version. Grocery stores were wiped out before the storm and closed up tight after the storm. I had a house full of people and they wanted bread! We cooked them over a fire in the back yard. They gobbled up those tortillas faster than I could make them. :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchiladas

1lb uncooked chicken breast strips*
1package (8 oz) cream cheese, cut into cubes
1can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
1package (10.5 oz) flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
2cans (10 oz each) green chile enchilada sauce
3/4cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
Step 1 Heat oven to 400F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 2 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Stir in cream cheese and chiles; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until blended and cream cheese is melted.
Step 3 Spoon chicken filling onto tortillas; roll up and place seam sides down in baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.

you can cheat and used canned chicken, smoked chicken, left over chicken or turkey even a leftover cockpot pork roast What ever is on hand.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Major, that sounds like a good recipe for enchiladas. I will add that we always put refried beans in ours.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Solucky:

Dont know how others make them, but this is how I do it. This is from approximations, since I never measure when I make tortillas. It should be pretty close though.

Ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
cup lard or shortening
1 to 1-1/2 cups water

Directions
Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in lard with forks until crumbly. Add water until dough forms.

Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth. Add water or flour as needed.

Divide dough into about 2 dozen pieces, or fewer for larger tortillas.

Roll out until very thin then cook in very lightly buttered skillet or grill for about 30 seconds per side.

Keep covered with foil and a towel after they are cooked.

I like to use masa de harina for the flour. You can then dry them and make chips, or deep fry them and make taco shells. But for regular tortillas, use a good regular flour.

Here is a cook I did a couple years ago...chalupas...beef and chicken:

Majors posting food shots, so what the heck.