Lost my garden, job, and home!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy all, I just found out my job is being eliminated and have 3 days to move. I'm sickened by this. Have no place for my cats. 5,000 dollars severance pay helps some, but meantime, I lose my cats, my garden, practically everything.

I have a lot to do, and i'm nearing 60...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy all, I just found out my job is being eliminated and have 3 days to move. I'm sickened by this. Have no place for my cats. 5,000 dollars severance pay helps some, but meantime, I lose my cats, my garden, practically everything.

I have a lot to do, and i'm nearing 60...
Oh my God. I know what that garden and peaceful place to live mean to you. You should have been given more notice. Who can find a place to live in 3 days? Keep us posted. So sorry. If I had money and a place I would hire you on the spot.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
really just like that.. thanks for all your hard work , but get out...
we our dumbfounded how cold employers are nowadays, i am so sorry my friend for this heart wrenching news..

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is terrible they dropped that on you so suddenly. How's a person supposed to make any arrangements in 3 days? Perhaps Nyboy is right and they can't legally do that to you?

I am so very sorry to hear this! I know you've put so much time and effort and love into your garden. It's truly heartbreaking. Will any of your friends or relatives maybe keep your cats for a bit until you can get settled? If you are able to, try to check in with us because we will all be worried sick about you. I'm praying something even better will come your way. :hugs

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Marshall, I don't know CA law, but I did a quick search on tenancy in your state and this may help: Look up California Civil Code 1946.1 (b). There is a fair bit of detail, but basically, the property owner owes you a 30-60 day notice period if they will no longer rent to you. If you live on state land (as part of your job?) this may be handled differently, but a private party will run into legal trouble giving you three days notice to clear out with no infractions on your part. I advise that you remind them of the law and ask for enough time to arrange new accommodation.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh how awful. Especially after all your hard work. I'm hoping something perfect comes up for you... Maybe some of the cabin owners you've met would let you temporarily stay at their cabin??

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Marshall this is sickening news. They really do owe you more time to find a place and a job. After all the years and hard work you have given them. It is only the least they could do. I know you must have planned on working a few more years before retiring. Good Luck finding work. (They better give you a stellar reference.) Like Cat says , try to keep us posted. We will be praying for you. :hugs

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can't believe they would be able to get away with 3 days notice to move. eviction process doesn't even allow for that short time period before pushing someone out the door.

didn't the owners of the property know they were going to sell the land/camp? if they knew this was going to happen they should have at least warned you it was going on and to be prepared.

Latest posts