Lowlife @#&^%*

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish! :thumbsup But kidding aside... even if the town allowed it (they won't), it would be irresponsible, given that the neighbors have children. I don't wish them ill, they really don't seem to be bad people... I just want them to have the same respect for my property, as I have for theirs.

My home is in a suburban township, where they provide gas & sewer, but my water is from a well. IMO I mostly get the best of both worlds; a stone's throw away from the city (which creeps closer every year) but larger lots, lower taxes, and less governmental interference. But because this is basically a "bedroom community", zoning is a little stricter than it would be a couple miles further out. My fence restrictions are pretty much the same as what @Nyboy described... I can't just run wire; the fence must be aesthetically pleasing, and if I put it up, the good side must face outward.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish! :thumbsup But kidding aside... even if the town allowed it (they won't), it would be irresponsible, given that the neighbors have children. I don't wish them ill, they really don't seem to be bad people... I just want them to have the same respect for my property, as I have for theirs.

My home is in a suburban township, where they provide gas & sewer, but my water is from a well. IMO I mostly get the best of both worlds; a stone's throw away from the city (which creeps closer every year) but larger lots, lower taxes, and less governmental interference. But because this is basically a "bedroom community", zoning is a little stricter than it would be a couple miles further out. My fence restrictions are pretty much the same as what @Nyboy described... I can't just run wire; the fence must be aesthetically pleasing, and if I put it up, the good side must face outward.

Zoning has it's uses, but the maverick wild streak in me resists being told what I can and cannot do. Plus having to ask permission to do something on my own property would massively tick me off.

Our DD and family live in a private, heavily restricted subdivision of 1700 households and pay $200 a month in maintenance fees. Plus they had to pay $6,000 up front and go before the board to be "approved" before they could buy their house. She likes not living next to people like me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
our township is zoned, but it is mostly rural and agricultural lands anyways. people mostly can do what they want from what i've seen. i think the only time we need a permit is for additions to the house and i'm sure there are some other issues like with the large drainage ditches or the utility poles that we'd have to talk to someone else, but otherwise we've done what we want.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zoning laws have a place in life. Keeps people from trashing up their place making it a health risk. Makes some people better stewards of animals-have to have appropriate housing, animals/acre, type of animals, etc. Now IF we could zone city people from buying country land and then trying to dictate how we do agriculture-that’s a zoning law I could get behind. ;) Hate it when they complain about manure smells-where do the morons think animals should be raised?

We use to have zoning laws that did not allow lawyers to live in town with decent folks. I’d zone them out of USA...

Zoning has it's uses, but the maverick wild streak in me resists being told what I can and cannot do. Plus having to ask permission to do something on my own property would massively tick me off.

Our DD and family live in a private, heavily restricted subdivision of 1700 households and pay $200 a month in maintenance fees. Plus they had to pay $6,000 up front and go before the board to be "approved" before they could buy their house. She likes not living next to people like me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm with you @baymule, I like being off the road far enough that if I don't want to look at another living soul, I don't have too. Inspector was out checking my building the other day, asked me about property lines and set backs, I told him to look as far as he could see in any direction, that's my property line Lol.
Had a person wander down my dirt road on my second gate few weeks back, I was running the tiller, looked up and notice someone that wasn't my clan coming towards me, This person walked past 2 posted signs, and a locked gate.....I was beyond furious. Usually people do this to take inventory of what you got so they can come back later and clean house. By the time I explained the reason for gates and posted signs and what they meant, they were ready to get away from me....and my 38 Lol.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Seed, zoning laws have their place. One of the ones I liked in my county in Arkansas was that even though I was in the country lots had to be at least a full acre before you could build a house on it. You did not need much of a permit to build a house, pretty minimal requirements, but you did need to permit the septic system.

I liked being in on a private gravel road less than ten minutes from the post office, hardware store, and grocery store. The neighbors were not in my back pocket but we were all on speaking terms. We did not carry guns but if we saw someone we didn't know we might just wander out and ask if we could help them, they seemed lost. That was usually enough.

When I moved down here one very interesting house was in an HOA. We did not even look at it.

Some people really like the zoning rules. I guess it makes them feel secure, especially about property values. I'm not one of those.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some places around here were pretty much trash heaps. one of them burned a few years ago and sat there burned out for a long time before it got dealt with. another really trashy place they put a wooden fence around it and so people don't have to look at it any more (i think that's fine). another place we always comment about they have trees growing around it so you don't really notice how bad it is.

i'm sure people think our place is somewhat trashy with all the stuff going on here, but that's ok. to each their own.

i'd have a big honkin castle wall if i could build it...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its $60 a month in San Jose for weekly trash, recyclables and yard waste pick up. Here in rural Grants Pass, I'm at $32 a month and no yard waste pick ups. If we have big things, you gotta find a person with a trailer or huge truck and take it to the dump which costs money too.