Lowlife @#&^%*

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This may be true for some dumping, but some folks are just cheap slobs and don't care. They may not even pay for trash pickup in the first place

everyone in our township pays for it through property taxes, it's not a matter of cheap slobs or not, they pay... we no longer have crap dumped along the roads like before.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes that is how it is at city house, the city of White Plains picks up trash at curb every Tue and Thur, heavy stuff every Wed. Taxes are in 5 figures. Country house taxes a few hundred deal with trash yourself. many have burn barrels. With high taxes bring city services.

My 20 acre farm is in a pretty rural part of the county. The road frontage is roughly 1800'-1900' or so, when I cut the grass next to the highway I carry a 5 gallon bucket just to pick up bottles and paper. Many times I have had to empty the bucket several times to get it all, and its every time I cut the grass. Makes me sick to see people just don't care anymore. Here you can take household garbage to the dump free, But pay by the ton for bigger items and anything other than trash.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes that is how it is at city house, the city of White Plains picks up trash at curb every Tue and Thur, heavy stuff every Wed. Taxes are in 5 figures. Country house taxes a few hundred deal with trash yourself. many have burn barrels. With high taxes bring city services.

we're not in the city, trash service is about $130/yr. one pick up a week, but they have separate trucks for trash and recycling. they tag the heavy items and send another truck for it some other time during the week. all appliances get taken by the delivery people. i never see those at the curb anymore at all. so far we've not had any bulk items to discard. almost all the time we put any metal out the scrap people will try to get it before the trash service does. which is hard because the trash service starts right at our spot so it's not out there long.

any other time of the week usually anything we put out with "FREE" sign on it is picked up quickly.

burn barrels were trouble here and a few people still do that, but it stinks and often causes brush fires so now people are supposed to get burn permits. but most people don't or for their camp fires, brush piles or when they burn the ditches. at least now though if they start a brush fire they can get cited for it plus have to pay for the fire dept fees.

as for litter along the roads... that's a whole different topic... we used to walk up and down the road a lot more, but got sick of the dogs/hassles and Mom is so paranoid about dogs that it was all she would talk about. i got sick of hearing about it and so don't walk as often. when we did go i would usually pick up beer/pop cans/bottles for $. i'd also pick up plastic/metal/glass to put in recycling. paper stuff, i'd leave for the worms. we could make $50-100/yr just from the pop/beer deposit $. if i were short on cash and had a bike it wouldn't be too bad a way to make a few extra $. i really wish they'd put a deposit all containers like on bottled water, juice and fast food bags. that way it could be a decent amount of $ to pick up the litter and return it for $.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
From the amount of empty beer bottles I find, a DWI check point on my street would net quite a few arrests.

we have quite a few too on top of having a bar down the road and people blowing through the stop sign. used to have a lot of people missing this turn and going in the ditch, but it's been pretty good lately. *knocks on wood* you didn't hear that... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The entire tree line is on my property, so they know where the property line is. Thought about putting up a fence several times.
1. Zoning requires that I pay for a survey before erecting a fence - $$$
2. I'd need 350' of strong fence, high enough so they couldn't just throw things over. Zoning again limits my fencing options - $$$
3. Erecting the fence would require me to (a) cut access routes through my beautiful tree line (which is unthinkable), or (b) get permission from all of the back neighbors to erect the fence from their side. If the neighbors were reasonable enough to allow option (b), I wouldn't need the fence!!!:he

Wish I could put up a fence tall enough to keep the deer out; but looked into that too... really big $$$$$$$$$$$. I'm too close to retirement to casually make such large expenditures, so unfortunately fencing will remain pretty far down on my priority list.

Zoning? Are you inside the city limits? When we bought our place, it was surveyed. The idea of surveying it again is preposterous. Isn't there steel rods in the ground marking your corners? And zoning limits your choice of fencing? I'd like to see some yahoo try to tell me what kind of fence I could have. We live out in the county, I want nothing to do with zoning and a big absolute NO to any kind of HOA.

We have 8 acres, it was so thick when we bought it that the house couldn't be seen from the road. We had to clear fence lines, it was a real job. On one stretch of fence we cut three large trees. We stopped to cut up the trees, neighbor brought his log splitter and we stacked up firewood for our daughter and family, several neighbors and we don't even have a fireplace for ourselves. Just didn't want that to go to waste. On one fence line is a huge pine that the neighbor on that side was ok with us going around the tree. I get where you're coming from on not wanting to mar the beautiful trees, but I like my place fenced. It keeps my sheep, horses, pigs, chickens and dogs IN and everybody else's dogs OUT.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay the backyard of my city house is fenced 6ft wooden. You would not believe the hoops I had to jump threw to get the permit. Wooden fences have a good and bad side, the good side must face neighbors or they can make you rip it down. I would have loved to have gone 2 feet higher because coyotes can go over 6 foot fence, city zoning basically told me no chance in Hell of that being approved. Fence cost me thousands of dollars, but it keeps my dogs safe from street so worth every penny. Backyard is tiny, property here is measured by foot not acre.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing since you can't extend the height of the fence, there's no chance in hell coyote rollers on top would fly

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish even with fence I have to go in backyard at night when dogs out. And because 4 houses can see into my yard no going out in just underwear.

Latest posts