majors 2019 first hijacked thread

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us! Pull up a chair, grab an appropriate (for you) beverage, and jump right in. Make yourself at home. :frow

The way I tell garlic is ready is that the tops start to die. When the tops start to turn brown I take them up and cure them in the sun but out of rain for a week or so, then hang them in an outbuilding to further cure.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where are you in WVa? I was born and raised in Parkersburg.

I read about that over on SS. I'm about 20 mi. east of Parkersburg now, though I lived for awhile over in Pendleton County(one of the most gorgeous counties in the state!) I was born in Parkersburg and my family all have lived near it or in it for three generations now.

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot you were on SS, too. Brainfart. WVa definetly has some beautiful scenery. I always loved the fall season. Great to know a fellow WVa'n!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi I’m new here but your veggies look amazing, there’s nothing I can grow outside here this time of the year except garlic and last year they flourished but it was my first time and had no idea how to tell when they were ready

hello and welcome to the forums, garlic is usually ready towards the early or middle part of summer but it varies by variety and climate/weather. usually when some of the top leaves start to turn brown i wait a week two later and hope for dry enough weather to lift it out of the ground.

it is also good any time in the early to later spring as a green onion substitute with a garlic flavor to it (the more you cook it the less garlic flavor it has).

it is the easiest thing to grow too.

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us! Pull up a chair, grab an appropriate (for you) beverage, and jump right in. Make yourself at home. :frow

The way I tell garlic is ready is that the tops start to die. When the tops start to turn brown I take them up and cure them in the sun but out of rain for a week or so, then hang them in an outbuilding to further cure.
Thanks so much I didn’t hang them I dried them out in a box then when I took off the tops they were hard clumps of garlic

Latest posts