majors 2019 first hijacked thread

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Rammy -
"In
Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain."
Trolls-3.gif

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
1/1/19.... our first harvest....
View attachment 29963
being a new year we are doing a pork and shrimp quickie gumbo........

have bok chio growing everywhere..had just a few seeds left over that i did not wish to save...so tossed them over my shoulder..guess what the sprouted lots of baby chio in the ground...:lol::lol:

View attachment 29964

so heres to another wonderful growing season.....
Youu have greens in NC? Didn't you have snow a while back?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
still have some very sad lettuce, a few radishes <go figure on them> about 7 heads of bok chio and a half bed of spinach...oh and some sorry looking carrots..
they are calling for some low 20's the next couple mornings.. of course the kitchen is torn apart.... no cooking..grrrrr

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
still have some very sad lettuce, a few radishes <go figure on them> about 7 heads of bok chio and a half bed of spinach...oh and some sorry looking carrots..
they are calling for some low 20's the next couple mornings.. of course the kitchen is torn apart.... no cooking..grrrrr
It is AMAZING what you and the wife have cooked outdoors. All the canning she did too! Who needs a kitchen ;)

@majorcatfish Didn't you mention something about using treated lumber for raised beds. I know you did a lot of reading up on it, Looking at starting a few more for this year. I want to get started hopefully this weekend. I know you said a few times that due to the copper content it wasn't safe for root crops in close proximity. How you feel about it for peppers/tomatoes/etc.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish Didn't you mention something about using treated lumber for raised beds. I know you did a lot of reading up on it, Looking at starting a few more for this year. I want to get started hopefully this weekend. I know you said a few times that due to the copper content it wasn't safe for root crops in close proximity. How you feel about it for peppers/tomatoes/etc.

yes that's what i have read on numerous sites from governmental to organic. for peppers and mators since they have a rather large root system personally i would plant right down the middle......

of course another option is cinder blocks<one block high><2 block high for root veggies> would be perfect. yes more in building them at first,

pros....but they last if one breaks you just replace it.
word of advice fill all the holes with dirt otherwise weeds love to grow in them and chiggers and black widows love to hang out there...

the con of them... years ago they made them with portland cement now they use fly ash from the coal power plants... so now you have all the heavy metals to contend with...

personally i have many of my beds that need rebuilding, think i will be going with block, it will time consuming leveling them, but in the long run think we will be happier with them....

now if you have really deep pockets just dripping with hundreds go with western cedar or redwood..cha ching $$$$$$$$$

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've also learned by now not to build raised beds with wood. After 3-4 years you have to fix them. Ive used bricks and small street clinkers to replace the wood, looks nicer than concrete but not as good as wood.

now if you have really deep pockets just dripping with hundreds go with western cedar or redwood..cha ching $$$$$$$$$

Looks like I will be going back with yellow pine Lol.

Seriously, I probably will do yellow pine for now, just because all this is in a new area, it may not work for the spot, or be a hassle down the road, if it is, I'll use it till rots, then build another somewhere else. I like the block idea, nothing says permanent like cinder blocks.

Latest posts