Meanwhile at the lower ranch ~ the gate was left open ```

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of us were raised on ranches ~ it gives us no authority ~ you are expressing kinda mean ~ religiously held belief aimed at free creatures

bm ~ You've never gotten over your fear of horses ~ now a deep resentment ~ you slant,aim at every opportunity ~ your energy against creatures whom you begrudge ```

They don't talk about you like that ~ as soon as you're out of sight you're out of mind ```
You are farther from the truth that you can possibly imagine. It is about time you grew up and face reality of the real world.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Massacre Lake ~ was named in the memory of a pioneer party killed by Indians. The massacre got little attention as Papers in the East where romanticized bad treatment of Indians by Federal Government and settlers in the wild west were popular. The men and boys were killed and chopped up, women taken as slaves and the well stocked wagons looted. Another story is that the families in the eastern U.S. never had friends and relatives leave and travel west with a large number of wagons, animals and material to start a new life in the west. Talking of Indian attack is frowned upon today in favor of inhumane government treatment of indigenous people.

http://www.onlinenevada.org/sites/default/files/Massacre_Layton_1977.pdf
Yes, that is the paper I was reading yesterday. As I say, I knew nothing about the origin of the name until then, despite being in that area a couple of times. I doubt that a garden forum is all that appropriate for these discussions but, here goes:

That paper says nothing of what you stated although I'm unsure what all you mean, the sentences seem a bit conflicted. Compare the words of the author of the paper, Thomas Layton, PhD, Harvard, and director of the Nevada State Museum. Dr Layton had been doing archeological research in the area for 11 years before publishing the paper.

Citing "Papers Transmitted by the Secretary of the Oregon Territory to the US Congress," Layton says, "That the Massacre of 1850 was not recorded in the 1850s when it would have been sensational news poses a serious question concerning its historical authenticity. Systematic compilation of all known records of murders of Caucasians by Indians in Oregon and northern California was begun in 1854, only four years after the alleged massacre, by order of the Secretary of the Oregon Territory." The papers were submitted to Congress in 1859.

Layton goes on to conclude, "The deception of the cache-making Forty-niner may not have fooled his contemporaries but the deception was not without some small success. It fooled generations of cowboys and historians, and provided Nevada with a series of colorful place-names which dramatize the history of the High Rock Country, even if they do not contribute to its accuracy."

I'm sure that I don't know but if you have anything after the late 1970's that you can cite that argues otherwise, I'd be willing to read it. As I say however, it all hardly fits in a garden forum discussion.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was shocked to learn one of the largest massacre in this country was by President Lincolns orders. Included woman and child. Some thing NEVER taught in school

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
civil war was anything but... in wars all sorts of things happen, same with invasions. you'll not often hear about the numbers of natives that died due to diseases spread by the arrival of europeans in the NA and SA continents. last estimate i heard of was hundreds of millions. yes, it was really that bad, but nobody really knows because before history/written languages so many peoples lived/died without records of any kind.

if you want to read about this sort of thing check out 1491 and 1492 (book titles)... if you want to see what's been done to the world by various exploitative cultures check out _Dirt_ by Montgomery. there's plenty other good reading too, but those are decent starts.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-9-4_18-17-25.png

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
When only two men were found guilty of rape, Lincoln expanded the criteria to include those who had participated in “massacres” of civilians rather than just “battles.” He then made his final decision, and forwarded a list of 39 names to Sibley.

On December 26, 1862, 38 Dakota men were hanged at Mankato.

At 10:00 am on December 26, 38 Dakota prisoners were led to a scaffold specially constructed for their execution. One had been given a reprieve at the last minute. An estimated 4,000 spectators crammed the streets of Mankato and surrounding land. Col. Stephen Miller, charged with keeping the peace in the days leading up to the hangings, had declared martial law and had banned the sale and consumption of alcohol within a ten-mile radius of the town.

Well ~ I wasn't there ~ don't know how Indians treated prisoners ~ this was done with German military as well ```
Lincoln permitted some bad treatment of southern troops as well as civilians and it's started again ~ the war on the south ~ Our South ~ we are allowing Southern American towns to be attacked today ```

We have to do something about that ```

Latest posts