Moss on the Rocks

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I love the first and the second to the last picture. Yep, another lover of moss here. I love to see it on the redwood trees when we're up at out cabin. I always point it out to the grandkids.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should see how well it grows on roof of my house
To get rid of the moss on your roof ... here in the PNW they sell a commercial roof moss killer " Moss Out " that has iron sulfate as the active ingredienat . However , one can buy the exact same iron sulfate fertilizer at 1/3 to 1/2 the price and it WORKS wonders. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Japanese gardeners paint new rocks with buttermilk to get moss and lichens started. Still takes awhile though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat!

I have something I've been saving for you. I hope it's okay with Thistle'. You know, she is a very tolerant person but there are limits ...

Here we go:

November 27, 2015 123356 PM PST_kindlephoto-26780996.jpg

Japanese candy vendor, painted about 1900, if I remember correctly :).

Steve

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely! Hard to gauge the scale of it by pics alone, but that last shot you took, Thistle, would make an amazing backdrop for portraits. I can just imagine taking some Anne Geddes style baby/children pictures. That moss looks like it would be so soft to sit on. You and your DH should have your pic taken together there! And the dogs too, if there's enough room. :)

It is hard to tell the scope from the pictures, but those boulders are at least 20 feet high at the top.
That property belongs to a client, it's part of their driveway. It's a really loooong driveway.
I was leaving and the way the light came through the trees and lit the moss up made me stop so I could absorb it all.

Latest posts