n95 dust masks

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just at Safeway, stocking up on meat cus its gonna be short supplied for a while. Tyson, Smithfield and other plants have closed due to worker illnesses. The Safeway employees were all wearing masks, and the checker said up until this a.m., they were not allowed to wear them. Now they are mandatory. And the plexiglass shields in front of their registers - maybe it will catch a cough, but I had to reach around it to hand over my coupons and rewards card. Now that I'll roll my eyes at....

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And the plexiglass shields in front of their registers - maybe it will catch a cough, but I had to reach around it to hand over my coupons and rewards card. Now that I'll roll my eyes at....

I used to cashier at Home Depot. I once had a customer sneeze on my face from about 2' away. It was traumatizing and disgusting in normal times. Right now I say if there is a chance it keeps you safe, why not do it?

I would assume a direct cough would transfer more virus than passing things to the cashier. Because its respiratory, You'd have to have virus on your hands, get enough from your hands on your card, enough transfer from your card to the cashier's hands, and then they'd have to touch their eye/nose/mouth and transfer enough from their hands to get sick. That is several layers of dilution. Where as if someone coughs, and the cashier breathes, that is direct transmission.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My company FINALY came out with the Safe Working Procedures for us scalehouse folks this past Monday.
I just rolled my eyes. Thanks to a little time in a vet hospital YEARS ago, the procedures in MY scalehouse ar so far beyond what the company requires it makes them look like a joke. I've tried to share what I'm doing with the others in my area and all I get are eye-rolls. Since 80% of the other sites are local or in-state waste only, it's probably not as much of a risk for them. But my site is right at 60% out-of-state and almost all of that is from NY. By our license I'm required to accept paperwork from the drivers for certain types of waste. 🤢
I'm running that place like it's a Parvo ward & 10' from a litter of $100,000,000.00 puppies.

i cannot blame you a bit.

maybe this will help kill off more paperwork!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been listening and looking for coughing when I go to the store and I have not heard anybody. We have been going 1 time a week or once every 2 weeks for groceries. We went to Walmart today for a couple of things. People staying apart pretty good. Lots of masks. I saw kids in carts and in the store and too little for masks. Evelyn has not been to town for a long, long time. She loves to go shopping. I looked in the greenhouse at Walmart and still no tomato plants. I picked up more seeds. I know people are buying the elastic and the fabric up for the masks, but was kind of shocked to see how much of the fabric was sold out at Walmart. The grocery store still has limit 2 on things and kind of surprised of how many things are still sold out. Price of eggs at the grocery store today was $3.48 for 18.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if this will give people a whole new attitude towards prepping? I’m not a doomsday sort of person but I believe in keeping more than my immediate needs. It’s the smart thing to do. As gardeners, we “put up” in times of plenty for later consumption. It’s a way of life, living with the seasons.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been listening and looking for coughing when I go to the store and I have not heard anybody. We have been going 1 time a week or once every 2 weeks for groceries. We went to Walmart today for a couple of things. People staying apart pretty good. Lots of masks. I saw kids in carts and in the store and too little for masks. Evelyn has not been to town for a long, long time. She loves to go shopping. I looked in the greenhouse at Walmart and still no tomato plants. I picked up more seeds. I know people are buying the elastic and the fabric up for the masks, but was kind of shocked to see how much of the fabric was sold out at Walmart. The grocery store still has limit 2 on things and kind of surprised of how many things are still sold out. Price of eggs at the grocery store today was $3.48 for 18.
Eggs at $3.48/18 is sad. Chickens haven’t quit laying. Sorted by machine, workers still there, truckers hauling more weight with no restrictions. Let them buy all they want. Same with milk.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if this will give people a whole new attitude towards prepping? I’m not a doomsday sort of person but I believe in keeping more than my immediate needs. It’s the smart thing to do. As gardeners, we “put up” in times of plenty for later consumption. It’s a way of life, living with the seasons.
People have short term memory.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
People have short term memory.

And they learn there is work involved. Some people probably will decide to keep at it, especially if they taste what fresh ripe veggies taste like. That can be an eye-opener for some people. Many may brag to their grandkids about how they roughed it in the hard times, but I think most will find other things to do with their time once this is over.

I also imagine some people that are used to store-bought, canned, or frozen stuff won't like how fresh tastes. I know, hard to believe, but that happens on the chicken forum. Part of that might be how they cook it but some just don't like something that tastes different from what they are used to. You can't account for other people's tastes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also imagine some people that are used to store-bought, canned, or frozen stuff won't like how fresh tastes

Too much truth here.

Latest posts