Name Your Heirloom Tomatoes For This Year!

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree even watering is important. But I don't think it's the watering on the Cherokee Purple splitting issue. We planted them 2 years in a row, among other tomatoes with the same soil and water conditions. The other varieties didn't split. Other growers we know at farmers markets complain about Cherokee Purple's excessive splitting as well.

Picking Cherokee Purple early and ripening them off the vine does work. We finally resorted to that last year. But I can't be bothered...I like vine-ripened tomatoes and so many others fit the bill.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a tiny garden spot so I just planted 2 Roma plants and 1 of Delicious (not sure if that one is heirloom or not). They were freebies, so I can't complain. 3 plants for 2 people will be enough for us.

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My absolute favorite is cherokee purple. I love the intense flavor and they are the greatest slicers. I haven't had much problem with them splitting. My black krims succumbed to some sort of bottom rot last year and I had a lot of splitting because of the rain. The cherokees held strong. The only problem I had with them is the branches snapping off as they were so full of heavy fruit.

Here's my list this year. I contacted my extension service in search of a local grower and got in contact with a master gardener who is obsessed with everything heirloom tomato. She is starting some of her own varieties as well. I mentioned I was interested in WV heirlooms and she dropped off a flat for me :D FULL of neat tomatoes

Barnes Mt. Pink KY
Tlacalula ribbed Mexico
Missouri? Pink Love Apple
WV 63
Yellow Cookie
Hillbilly WV
Mortgage Lifter WV
WV. Straw
Misha Berries
French Farmers Market
Kelloggs Breakfast
Aker's WV
Tappy Finest WV
Hoskin's Barber KY
German Orange Strawberry
WV. Pink Slicer
Ponderosa WV?
Ruby's Green German
Old Virginian

and, the my favorites I picked up at the hardware store
Mr Stripey
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I have a tiny garden spot so I just planted 2 Roma plants and 1 of Delicious (not sure if that one is heirloom or not). They were freebies, so I can't complain. 3 plants for 2 people will be enough for us.
Delicious is an heirloom. My daughter just took in my extra tomato plants to give away at work and they are almost gone. Freebies rule.

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cherokee Chocolate ( sport of Cherokee Purple)
Brandy Wine
Roma VF
Mortgage Lifter

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
pirtykitty said:
Cherokee Chocolate ( sport of Cherokee Purple)
Brandy Wine
Roma VF
Mortgage Lifter
I have a story here somewhere... but here in Raleigh where I live the guy who found the Cherokee Purple and introduced in back to the seed market in the 80's was the same guy who breed and created the Chocolate Cherokee. A friend of mine met him at the farmers market like 2 weeks ago and bought several plants of each. I told her the story after the fact, and she was so in awe... she's saving me as many seeds as she can this year :)

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello every one!!!
My original seeds of Cherokee Chocolate came from Craig LeHoullier.. I'd have to see if I still have the original package.. I have a lot of seeds from him.. I was in Seed Savers for several years back in the 90's up until about 8 years ago.. I'm hoping to join again this fall..

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Craig It's good to see you on here.. I took a look at you site.. I'm tickled pink to see Off The Vine articles there... I have all my issues stashed somewhere.. I wish it was still in print..

Latest posts